1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"President Bush extends protection for waters off Hawaii"

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Mirza, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Mirza

Mirza New Member

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jun 16 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]272535[/snapback]</div>

Ha.. funny, no responses eh?.....

Few want to hear anything Good Bush does... I think Bush Bashing is much more popular.

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, this is a good thing. It does protect the area from development, although it will also probably limit the amount of recreational activities allowed. But there are plenty of places to dive and see coral.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suspect this has less to do with preserving the environment or any other altruistic motives and more to do with creating the biggest national park ever. In fact, bigger than all of the other national parks combined.

5. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I was watching CNN report this... (I didn't see the whole thing because I wasn't there before it started)... he watched a scientific documentary about the Hawaiin ecosystems and acted on it... (late edit~ or at least it pushed him to act on it):

"Jean-Michel Cousteau, the marine explorer and filmmaker, said it was important to ensure that the designation came with meaningful rules and enough money to protect and further study the region's biological resources. He recently spent five weeks filming in the area and showed the resulting documentary at the White House in April."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/15/science/...=rssnyt&emc=rss

I really think there was at least some altruism on his part... maybe part of the decision was politically motivated... but I am inclined to believe that altruism was involved.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jun 16 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]272559[/snapback]</div>
    He made an impulsive decision based on a TV show?

He must watch a lot of FOX news.

I think any altruism was a byproduct. He is now in the history books as the president that created the biggest national park.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jun 16 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]272559[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect you won't find many of the political opponents of President Bush that will agree with you. In our poisoned political environment, we cannot recognize any good thing that our opponents do. Its a shame, really. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Republicans have a long history of being conservationists (preserving land), but have not been friendly to the modern environmentalist movement.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 16 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]272543[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. I read this and have to wonder: Are you asking for Bush Bashing, as it appears here? Can't people just not respond if they have nothing nice or relevant to say? Sure be a better place if that were the case. I personally don't know enough about the situation to respond one way or another. So I just read the comments and move on. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate something "good." I just don't know what it might mean because of lack of information - nothing more.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 17 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]272761[/snapback]</div>

I was probrobly on to nothing..... but looks like I got the ball rolling! :lol:

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 17 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]272721[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, how true, especially of the religious right concerning that was accomplished during the Clinton Presidency.

As far as I can tell, the last Republican president who could be considered an environmental conservationist was Theodore Roosevelt. That goes back approximately 100 years.

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 17 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]272765[/snapback]</div>
    If what you're after is mud-slinging, I'm sure you'll get it sooner than later if FHOP history is anything to go by. For the meantime, you have to deal with some level-headed non-Bush worshipers who aren't as impressed with these actions as some here would apparently prefer.

12. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just when you're certain the man has no redeeming qualities he does this!? He must be drinking again.

13. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 17 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]272778[/snapback]</div>
    I'm one of the rare ones, then. I do recognize many accomplishments made during the Clinton presidency.

As to the other comment, TR is very well known, but there were significant accomplishments by other Republican presidents, including creating the EPA.

14. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 17 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]272833[/snapback]</div>
    Thats true... Infact If im not mistaken, I think Nixon created the EPA... go figure.. (and I may be wrong on that)... But..

Few people despise Bush as much as me but I will happily admit he did good on creating this massive new national park... I dont care what motivated him to do it political, personal, or home DVD... if he does something good I'll give him credit for it and this was exceedingly good! (of course if he does bad I'll give him credit for that too... so where to begin??? Well theres.......)

Ha ha ha... But seriously, I am a democrat who is not afraid to give credit to the other side of the political arena when credit is due... So please don't use grandiose descriptions to categorize all democrats as liberal bush-hating communitst pigs (or things to that effect) unless you are willing to make the same generalizations about conservatives and republicans too... and there are a few that some people might be willing to make...

Ok, Im done now... thanks, I feel better...

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah. Here, I'll play too.

do not know. Wasn't very satisfying. But I do wonder what the criticism was, and if the same folks are criticising this decision?

Anyway. I'm a big fan of HI. Does anybody have a map of the area in question? I can't quite figure it out by the description. Doesn't sound like anywhere that is typically used much for "recreation." Though I'm sure it is fished.

16. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 17 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]272862[/snapback]</div>
    Had to go to the BBC website to find a map:

[​IMG]

Bush creates new marine sanctuary

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 17 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]272799[/snapback]</div>
    I don't really care and I don't think Bush does either....
    I really don't think he does things to impress people... he follows convictions.. you may agree or not, but he's the best president at not playing the politician game I've seen in a long while.

He's still just a man.. not perfect, but at least he doesn't tell me what I want to hear, and then tell you what you want to hear and then do neither like the democrats do.

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 17 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]272870[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks much for that. One wonders why we can't get relevant news about our own country in our own country!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 17 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]272912[/snapback]</div>
    Really. Is this the end game for you? Point fingers at who is worse in a giant game of pin-the-tail on the political stereotype?
    I was willing to play a little bit, but I'm not going there. We can do better than this, can't we?

19. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 17 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]272916[/snapback]</div>
    I did see a map elsewhere, either in the print edition of the Los Angeles Times or on ABC's World News Tonight. However, this is the first one I found on the Internet and I did try all the major news sites first.

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 17 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]272916[/snapback]</div>
    Surely you jest why would the media print something good about Bush? BaHaHaHaHaaaaa oh well. . .

Just spotted a Toyota Rav4 EV leased by the city of Kingsburg, CA. pop. <10K. It has less than 12K miles. Short of stealing it do you know of any way to get this from them at the end of the lease? Just started a job there as a RE appraiser and have discovered three (mine included) Prii parked within a one block downtown area every work day.

Wildkow