1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

President Obama

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Feb 23, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Obama, speaking at a massive outdoor rally in Austin, Texas, said British Prime Minister Tony Blair's decision this week to withdraw 1,600 troops is a recognition that Iraq's problems can't be solved militarily.

"Now if Tony Blair can understand that, then why can't George Bush and Dick Cheney understand that?" Obama asked thousands of supporters who gathered in the rain to hear him. "In fact, Dick Cheney said this is all part of the plan (and) it was a good thing that Tony Blair was withdrawing, even as the administration is preparing to put 20,000 more of our young men and women in.

"Now, keep in mind, this is the same guy that said we'd be greeted as liberators, the same guy that said that we're in the last throes. I'm sure he forecast sun today," Obama said to laughter from supporters holding campaign signs over their heads to keep dry. "When Dick Cheney says it's a good thing, you know that you've probably got some big problems."

More

The country is starved for this kind of banter. Hilary would be a terrific President, but Barack is more appealing, particularly because of his Iraq stance. The more I get to know about him the more I like. This guy's a real force.

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Feb 23 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]395613[/snapback]</div>
    And, his real name is Hussein. It's perfect!!

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    He is able to speak and really say something. He has a lot of JFK characteristics. The more I hear...the more I like him. I am sure there is a lot more mud coming from all sides as we move along.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb, 07:32 PM) [snapback]395620[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have a point?

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 23 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]395620[/snapback]</div>
    No. His real name is Barack.

I don't use my middle name. Many people don't. His name is Barack Obama.

Only the right wing neo-con fascists constantly push the Hussein.

(Kinda reeks of desperation and fear when you get that petty.)

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I could easily live with Obama for eight years, and H Clinton as vice prez during that time. Then Clinton for eight. It'll take 16 years for the nation to recover from junior's foolishness. Of course, the military men and women he murdered and their families will never recover.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Someone explain to me again why last month Mr. Bush asked for 20,000 more troops in Iraq, but less than a month later, see Britain pulling out troops as a sign of success?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...n/s_494394.html

Brit pullback a sign of success, Snow says

President Bush is encouraged -- not disheartened -- by Britain's plan to reduce its troops in southern Iraq, because it signals some success in that region, White House Press Secretary Tony Snow said Wednesday.

"This is exactly the way the president foresees in the long run" that U.S. troop reductions will happen in other parts of Iraq, Snow said in a telephone interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 24 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]395845[/snapback]</div>
    What do you expect them to say? The Brits are going to pull out. They have to say it's a sign of success so no one else points to the escalation as a sign of failure.

And some will be stupid enough to buy it.

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 24 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]395907[/snapback]</div>
    I know, I was just asking rhetorically. It seems like a more relevant question than Obama's middle name for some reasaon.

10. Mirza

Mirza New Member

doublethink, doublespeak

Welcome to 1984.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Feb 24 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]395839[/snapback]</div>
    This is exactly what I've been saying. We'll see how things pan out. If Obama ends up on the ticket, Clinton should be content with #2. If she can be patient for 8 years, she'll have her chance. And a better chance than now.

Now if someone else is on the ticket, Obama is going to be Vice President. Because whoever it is would be totally stupid to pick anyone else. If that happens, then Obama is going to be president in 8 years.

We'll either have a black president in 2008 or 2016. We'll either have a woman president in 2016 or there isn't going to be a woman president for quiet some time. That's Hillary's best shot. And anyone that doesn't tell her bluntly that's the way it is is doing her a disservice. So we'll see how deeply her denial runs.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 24 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]395907[/snapback]</div>
    Don't worry. Next year at this time, the Neocons will be saying "Why are you talking about Iraq? We are not at war in Iraq. We never were at war in Iraq. We are at war in Iran. We always were at war in Iran. Chocolate rations are up!"

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 23 2007, 09:32 PM) [snapback]395620[/snapback]</div>
    I did a quick search and found that all over the web, meaningless people who have nothing tangible with which to attack Obama relentlessly refer to his middle name. Until someone can convince me that Obama's middle name was coined as a sign of respect to Saddam (who wasn't in power when Obama was born), I simply don't give a sht.

Oh yeah, I changed my signature again. If the text isn't big enough to show my point, let me know.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 23 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]395620[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Feb 23 2007, 09:42 PM) [snapback]395681[/snapback]</div>
    Yes: His point is that if there's absolutely nothing you can say against someone you dislike, you make fun of his name.

But I think I'm going to send this guy some money, something I've never done for a candadate who was not a personal friend of mine in a local election.

15. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD New Member

I don't care if he smokes, I don't care what his name is, and I don't care what his race is.

He's got my vote.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Husayn, Hussein, Hussain, Husain (Arabic:حسین), is an Arabic name which is the diminutive of Hasan, meaning "good" or "handsome". It is commonly given as a male given name among Muslims, after Husayn ibn Ali.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussein

Ḥusayn ibn ‘Alī ibn Abī Ṭālib (حسين بن علي بن أﺑﻲ طالب)‎ (third of Shaban 626, at Medina - tenth of Muharram 680, at Karbala) was the grandson of Muhammad. His mother was Muhammad's daughter Fatima Zahra and his father was Muhammad's cousin, first Shi’ah Imam, and the fourth Sunni Caliph, Ali ibn Abi Talib. Hussain ibn Ali is revered as the third Imam by Shi’ahs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husayn_ibn_Ali

he holds the name of a prominent figure in his faith. gee, how many people do YOU know that have a name that was also held by a prominent figure in any faith? there aren't many left after you remove all those...

so... peter was appointed as a major leader in christian faith... anyone with the name peter should be considered dangerous because they have a religious name and will do bad things with a position of leadership in our country. oh, as well as anyone having a name that was also held by a pope, right?

and abraham was the first hebrew. so anyone named abraham should also not be trusted to lead our country for the reasons listed above. [cough cough]

...just to use two other ridiculous parallelisms.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 24 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]395983[/snapback]</div>
    That's not the point.

They are trying to associate him with Saddam Hussein because they share the same name. I think Berman even called him Barack Osama instead of Obama once, trying to tie him to Osama bin Laden. Or just being stupid because he can't seem to get the man's name right. Or even in the correct order.

I'm sure they pissed their pants that John Kerry's middle name wasn't Adolf.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's why i wrote the first half of my post. ;)

i share a first (legal, not my preferred name) AND last name with the pseudonym of an adult film star... thankfully i have no plans to run for president.

19. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hillary is in meltdown (I'mmmmmmmm melting!!!!!)

Here's the winning ticket for 08; Obama for Pres and Edwards for VP. With the war, corruption and extreme right wing dependency, the republicans dont have a chance.

20. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I will not put a vote for Hillary if she becomes the final democratic ticket - unless the Republicans have an opposing right-wing nutjob. I would much rather have Mccain than Hillary - but most of all Obama. Another candidate I like is the governor of New Mexico... I personally think he has the best potential for being one of the greatest presidents to make history.