1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Press Display

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Dec 27, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Searching the net for my favorite Mexican newspaper (La Jornada) I ran across an outfit called pressdisplay-dot-com. They provide access to a bunch of newspapers, in the U.S. and worldwide. I signed up for the one-week free trial, but when they sent me an offer for a month for $4 (discounted from the regular $10/month) I decided to take them up on it.

Now I'm wondering if I did something foolish by giving my credit card information to an outfit I know nothing about. The service is real. I've been reading this morning's edition of La Jornada, and I glanced at several other papers yesterday. It seems pretty cool. But are they trustworthy?

You can check them out at their web site. You can read the front page of any of the papers they carry without registering. A free one-week trial does not require a credit card, and will let you read beyond the front page. And the price is right: during a month you can read any 31 issues, selecting from any of the papers they carry. But I repeat: Should I have trusted them with my credit card?

Does anybody know anything about them?

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Both those sites look interesting. But neither addresses my issue. PressDisplay is a pay site, so it's not a question of bypassing a registration. That only works with a free site that requires registration. And the other one only shows front pages. PressDisplay lets you read the entire issue, for a fee. I have no problem paying the fee. But since that means giving them my credit card info (which I've done, and I'm enjoying reading the newspapers) I'm wondering if it was a bad idea, since I know nothing about them. They now have my credit card info (as does any company I've bought stuff from over the internet).

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I'm purchasing something online, I use my Discovercard and the Discover Desktop. Or it's called something else, but it's something like that.

Basically, it works with Discover to generate a one-time random credit card number that is connected to your account. Any attempt for anyone to reuse this number would prove unfruitful.

You can try that is you have Discover. It wouldn't surprise me if other companies have something similar.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nearly every front page you click on has a link to the rest of the paper.

7. Ms. Piggy

Ms. Piggy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"60134)</div>
    I looked at the site, and they appear pretty legitimate (no atrocious spelling, etc), so I think you're OK. However, it is usually a good idea to check them out first. I did a quick check on the Better Business Bureau website, but I couldn't find either pressdisplay or their parent, newspaperdirect, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not legit. Best thing to do is to keep an eye on your credit card activity to ensure there's no hanky-panky. Most card issuers let you view your account online. A quick check each day can put your mind at ease as well as enable you to quickly detect credit card fraud.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow i just checked that link i gave you and they have changed their format. before clicking on a page brought up the page full screen in another window with a link where you could access the paper (most require a free registration though).

i have about 20 links to various papers around the country from that site.

looks like the link is no longer worth keeping.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tony: Thanks for that suggestion. I don't have Discover. I have a debit card from Visa that I use for on-line purchases, to limit my possible losses to the relatively low balance in that account. But still, recurring charges (legit) could be messed up if a fraudulent charge depleted the account.

I'm going to look into the possibility of that kind of one-use number. I wonder how long it will take to use up all possible number combinations if that sort of thing becomes widespread. Ha ha.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    P.S. I just checked the Visa web site. They say that they now have a zero-liability policy in case of fraudulent card use. (Since mid-2000, I think they said.) Still a good idea to check on-line charges regularly.

But now there's another oddity with PressDisplay. Suddenly it's not recognizing my subscription. I have a receipt from them, but there's no charge on my card. So they gave me a receipt and acknowleged my discount sub ($4 instead of $10 for the first month) but never actually charged my card and now they want $10 for a regular sub.

I couldn't care less about the $6. I'd light my cigar with a $6 bill if I smoked. But I think maybe I'll give them some time to work out the bugs.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    HA! Now it's working again. I think it was just their flakey navigation. It sent me to the subscription page when I logged on. Had I seen the tiny navigation bar on the left, I could have gotten out of that page. It's got a retarded idea of what page to display when you first log on. I suppose the $4 credit card charge will show up eventually, since the account page shows it.

12. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Daniel i regularly search the web for "english language foreign newspapers" and get my information that way. It is much better to read about US involvement in world affairs from a non-US standpoint. This was especially helpful after 9-11 and the most recent stealection. It is all out there and for free, if only the ego-centric US population would pay attention!

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Agreed. Only I was specifically looking for La Jornada (in Spanish) and none of the links seemed to work. I used to read it for free from their own web site. I don't mind paying $10 a month. Hey, if it's worth reading, it's worth paying for. I suspect the trend is going to be away from free newspaper sites, and towards pay sites. And there's some benefit in a site that gives you a wide variety of newspapers to choose from for one subscription fee.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually a small sub fee might be preferable to my method which is to sign up for the approximately 20-25 free accounts to various papers i have read... some only a few times at most.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Definitely. Though $10/month, small for me, may be a stretch for some folks.