1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Press release - Toyota Re: Internal Legal Memo

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Feb 28, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Newsroom : Toyota Statement on Media Reports Regarding Internal Legal Memo / Toyota

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So this case concerns Sudden Unintended Non-Acceleration.

1 person likes this.
  3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And yet, everything is under a protective order. The world wants to know - why?

If there is nothing incriminating, why keep everything a secret. Nondisclosure agreements typically have a duration of 2 years. What is so special that requires continuing nondisclosure even 5 years afterwards?

And I guess we have to take Toyota's word that there is nothing relevant to the documents? Isn't that kind of like the fox guarding the henhouse? There is something of a credibility issue in play.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The reason for having a lawyer is to look at the facts and data and make the most cogent argument that support the client's interest. A lawyer is not hired to look at the best interest of the other party. In this case, private legal opinions and work product of Toyota was taken by a 'lawyer' possibly for his personal gain, violating the trust relationship a lawyer needs with their client.

We have history of whistleblowers who upon seeing something they deemed wrong, reported it. In this case, the lawyer did not turn over these documents to the NHTSA or attorney generals. Rather, he continued severance negotiations with Toyota and that is not the pattern of a whistleblower but more common with extortion.

Let me suggest reading the Wiki entry on Rashomon, the Japanese movie of a rape and murder. As much as we would like to believe things are 'black and white' in reality there are variations. It is too easy to attribute malice to more innocent events and ignorance. In this case, the lawyer tried to have his cake and eat it too at Toyota's expense. He violated the trust relationship between attorney and client. One third party, a judge, already ruled these should be private as a matter of law.

Now a Congressional staff are reviewing them (or soon) and this should have been an ultimate goal of a whistleblower. I have no idea what conclusions they will draw but it is now in the hands of others.

Bob Wilson

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In any event, any allegation that comes out of the review of the documents will have to be supported. Especially if indictments come out of the criminal probe.

6. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III