1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pressure, pressure and more pressure...........

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by phickson, Nov 28, 2013.

1. phickson

phickson Tron Pod Occupier

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My warranty just expired so I had an oil change at one of those quick lube places. I saw them with the air hose and didn't think much of it. For the following 2 days my MPG had dropped by 4 (630 mile a week commute). Light bulb went off - grabbed my digital tire pressure gauge and low and behold - all 4 tire pressures were off (and different).

Lesson learned on my part - change the oil - and please don't touch the tires!

Cold inflation pressure is the inflation pressure of tires before the car is driven and the tires warmed up. Recommended cold inflation pressure is displayed on the owner's manual and on the placard (or sticker) attached to the vehicle door edge, pillar, glovebox door or fuel filler flap. Drivers are encouraged to make sure their tires are adequately inflated, as suboptimal tire pressure can greatly reduce fuel economy, increase emissions, and can lead to premature failure of the tire. Excessive pressure, on the other hand, will lead to blowouts, decrease braking performance, and cause uneven wear.

Cold inflation pressure. (2013, August 19). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 16:21, November 28, 2013, from Cold inflation pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Figures... when I had my maintenance appt. done last month, I had my tire pressure up to 40-ish. They took it all the way down to 35/33, and then the outside high temperatures dropped about 30 degrees in a week. I check my air pressure every 2-3 weeks.
    Aren't they supposed to tell you if they adjust the tires and to what level?

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealers I've tried always reset the pressure to the officially recommended numbers, despite all requests to leave it alone. It's part of the standard 'service' they're required to do.

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A disenfranchised young gentleman returning a rental car after his trip from Washington DC must have been suffering from some very serious ailments because his car stunk like medical marijuana. I should feel very bad for him because he is probably not viewed as the disenfranchised individual that he is. We must have more mercy on him. Anyway this photo demonstrates the tire pressures he chose for his ride

Attached Files:

5. I’m not sure what I find the most surprising:
    • that tire pressures vary that much
    • that the thread is almost 10 years old
    • that it’s been almost 10 years since I last posted in this thread and it feels like only 1 year went by :eek: