1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prestone Ice & Frost Shield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rokeby, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From time to time, posters mention the use of RainX to keep windshield and hatch glass clear in the rain. This product allegedly serves a different purpose:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu64Aw...m/products/flash/iceFighters/iceFighters0.swf

It's supposed to greatly reduce the time and effort needed to clear ice and snow from auto glass. I first saw it in the auto section of my local supermarket. Active ingredients:methyl alcohol (67-56-1) and propylene glycol (57-55-6).

Has anybody tried it? Does it work?

Inquiring minds without garages want to know.

While on the topic of scraping ice. Many years ago, I think I was in Seattle at the time, I bought a scraper that has a soft copper blade about 3 inches wide.. It is very much more effective and faster than any plastic scraper I've used. I've used it on 5 different vehicles. There would have to be a very good reason for me not to do great harm to whosoever caused me to part with it.

For some years I've searched for another with no luck. Has anyone seen these for sale currently?

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've used it -- the Prestone product, that is, not the scraper. It works pretty well, though it leaves a noticeable residue. I've ended up using it more as a morning de-icing spray (which it's pretty good at too) rather than overnight. That way, my windows stay clean if we end up with no frost. I probably won't buy it again after the current bottle is gone. I think I'll stick to a conventional de-icer, which evaporates quickly and leaves much less residue.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't scraped ice in years.

I carry a piece of bubble wrap about 6 feet long and 3 feet wide. When I park outside in cold conditions I put it over the windshield and close the front doors to hold it in place.

When I come out and see all the other cars windshields frozen, I just open the doors, remove the bubble wrap, shake off the ice and fold it up for storage. The windshield is clear no scraping or de-icing required, it even keeps the wipers clear of ice.

It weighs almost nothing and is readily available.

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Despite JimboK's damning by faint praise, I bought some of this.

It works, just as he says. I could brush off 1/8 inch thick ice from the windshield and hatch with a gloved hand.

It does leave a residue; rather heavy in the areas of the windshield not swept by the wipers. Where the wipers do sweep, there is a light residue, not really a problem unless you have to drive into the sun. You can remove the light residue with a quick hand buffing with a soft cloth.

I also applied it to the head and tail lights where using a scraper would not be a good idea at all. Here the ice slid off after a light tap or two with my hand. This isn't really important in daytime driving, but it could be a major benefit for driving at night.

Seasalsa,

The bubble wrap sounds like a great idea. I take it that you're referring to the smaller sized bubbles, about 3/8 inch in diameter.