1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pretty decent . . . .

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tzx4, Mar 1, 2016.

1. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mpg.JPG
    Keep two things in mind here. First, I am driving like gramps as I always do when breaking in a new car. Only moderate highway speeds and no hard charging up the steep long grades here in Colorado. Second, the jury is still out as to how optimistic or not this in-dash counter is on the 2016. That said . . .
    It looks like the cumulative odometer is keeping a running mpg average, and if it cannot or is not zeroed out, then it displays the lifetime MPG for the car. It was displaying this unique number that the trips A&B and the other odometer settings were not displaying when I took this pic just now.
    Impressive, considering winter temperatures, and lots of elevation changes in the mountains between here and down in Denver. No way my trade in 2013 Prius c would do this well. I am impressed.
    2 ECO model here.
    I took a route in Denver today that the Prius c managed 84mpg at its best in the summer. The 2 ECO today scored 120 mpg on that same route. Amazing.

krmcg, Sergiospl, Jon Senum and 2 others like this.
  2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    120 mpg! Wow, I assume lots of gentle rolling hills to extend pulse and glide... How long was that trip for?

3. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I-25 in the southern Denver metro area.
    Long very gentle downhill grade, flowing with traffic, steady as she goes at 55-65mph
    423 foot descent over about 7.4 miles. Scored about 55 mpg on the same route going uphill in the opposite direction.

Looking forward to next September to run a route over two mountain passes to Aspen and back where the Prius c scored 60mpg with Ecopia 422's last year, and 61 mpg with Michelin Energy saver A/S tires this past fall. If the 2 ECO comes in around 70mpg I would be delighted, but not so surprised after what these past 700+ miles have taught me.

#3 tzx4, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    bwilson4web likes this.
  4. Y-Zer09

Y-Zer09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cumulative mpg on the odometer will be changed when you reset your trip on the on car setting trip monitor. I was hoping it would keep the lifetime mpg but i accidentally reset it.

krmcg likes this.
  5. cjecpa

cjecpa Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your purchase. I say this with envy I am lucky with my current vehicle to get 300 miles and that is with a 15.9 gal tank.

6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My first Hybrid. A 2016 Prius Three. My first tank of fuel, and it indicates I'm averaging 61.2 mpg.
    I'm amazed. That's great. I'd be happy if I only got 45 mpg! My '05 Camry with the V6 engine got 16 mpg in town, and I'm a conservative driver.

I'm driving the new Prius mostly in the "ECO" mode, and still learning the proper driving technique. 80% city streets; 20% short freeway trips where I don't exceed 65 mph during break-in. The ECO mode seems to have adequate power for both city/freeway. I haven't found it necessary to use the "power" setting.

The car runs and rides beautifully. Not a squeak or rattle anywhere. Nice tight/firm steering. Good braking feel. I'm a big man, 6'-4", and I fit in there just fine. Navigation is great. The only small gripe I have, is the tire noise coming from the TOYOs. Man, it's pretty loud on most streets and freeway. (But so was my old Camry, so I'm used to it. But it's a little disappointing for a new redesigned Prius.)

Thanks for a great forum.

skayaks and krmcg like this.