1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pretty Peeved --Mismatched Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SONOmel, Jul 26, 2008.

1. SONOmel

SONOmel New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, I'm so angry at my husband right now. While I was away getting uniforms for the kids' school this am, he went to get my tire fixed. It had a nail in it. They told him it was not fixable due to broken cables. So he bought 2 new back tires. The 2 tires he bought were Bridgestone, not Goodyear. Now I have mismatched tires on a 2008 Prius. Grrr...He also disposed of the good back tire, even though it only had 7,000 miles wear. I went back and retrieved that tire from the store. I'm pretty sure the mechanics were amused. We can at least use it as a backup since we have 2 priuses. I am just so angry I could spit:mad: Geeze, I know it seems petty, but geeze. This is the first time I've ever had a new car. And darm it, all his tires match...What will this do to my gas mileage? My warranty? My sanity?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Uh oh.

He done did it now.

7k should not be showing to much wear. Buy a new Integrity on Tirerack.com. Put that new tire back on with the one you got back from the tire dealer. Sell the new Bridgestone's on Craigs list or eBay local. Don't let him touch your car again. He's obviously a dim wit.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The issue is not big enough to provoke marital discord. Which Bridgestone tire model was installed on your car?

Since you have two Prius, maybe you should buy two more Bridgestone for your car (so that you have a matched set of 4 which will make you happy) and save the three Goodyear Integrity tires (which are not very good tires) for use on your husband's car, or else sell them.

You can tell your husband not to bother rotating tires on his Prius, so that the front tires wear out quickly. Then he can install 2 out of the 3 Integrity tires that had been set aside. Also, it is possible that you might have use for additional tires if you run into more road debris in the future.

Depending upon the tire model that you purchased, new tires might adversely impact mpg until they have accumulated a couple thousand miles.

There's no impact on your warranty.

The impact on your sanity is up to you; however I encourage you to try to convert the problem into an opportunity if possible.

4. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should have plugged it yourself. Very simple to repair.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having them mis-matched front-to-rear isn't a disaster the way a side-to-side mismatch would be. If you can't get a refund for the two consider just wearing them out on his car. If you can do it for free get the 7000 mile tire back for future use.

6. SONOmel

SONOmel New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did manage to get the 7000 mile tire back. He has 4 newer tires on his car (I went out and replaced those last winter, Goodyear brand with better tread than the original tires). He has a 2004, so his tires do not have the sensors, so it wouldn't be a simple switching them out. They would have to be remounted. We don't have the extra money to eat the tires, or get 2 more, so I am stuck with them. Stuck with the husband too, I guess...