1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pretty sure my 12v bat is dying. Can anyone confirm before I order a new one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Teefour, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Teefour

Teefour New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From reading older threads, I'm pretty sure my issue is with the small 12v battery in my 2009 Prius. It's gotten cold up here in NH at night, and the past few days when I go to start my car, the power button light turns orange and pretty much all the status lights light up, including the red triangle, and it stays that way. My gas mileage has also dropped to 40 from 47-49 in the past week, although I'm also due for an oil change, so that could cause the drop as well.

If I left my fan or wipers on, they come on, but very weakly. So I turn off the car, which takes about 10 sec after hitting the button, then turn it on again, after which it starts right up as normal. Except this morning anyway, when it took a few tries. I let it sit in that initial error mode, and the fan came in and turned off slightly stronger each time, until after about a minute it came on full blast, at which point I shut down the car and it started right up as normal.

It sounds like the small battery to me. Did anyone else have similar symptoms that were fixed by replacing the battery? Is the $180 install package from elearnaid still the best deal people have found?

Thanks!

kenoarto likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No need to get confirmation, a 2009 battery is at least 6 years old. Time for replacement.

Amazon sells the optima battery for $147.xx

kenoarto likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds about right - I've been browing various threads about 12V batteries and how to diagnose when they're about to die. There's a way of getting the diagnostics screen to come up on the Mult-Function-Display, and I'll let you enjoy yourself hunting for that. The other method involves use of a MultiMeter, and the ability to operate it - I've no idea if you have that skill (or access to a meter?) I notice that you're only 30 mins north of me (Nashua, NH) so I concur that as the nights have been cooling off, and this very morning I swapped to the winter wheels (see other threads), and shortly I'll be using the garage instead of leaving the car out in the elements. My car is the same age as yours, and has 105,000 miles on the odometer, so I was wondering how many miles on yours? …and so I might be condsidering a replacement in the not-too-distant future, in which case I think I might go here: http://www.batterymart.com/p-9a51p-agm-prius-auxiliary-battery.html?Category_Code=toyota-prius-smartkey-system-battery - Cheers - Wil

BTW Welcome to PriusChat! …lots of enthusiastic folk, and all the information you'll ever need to get the best out of your Prius (PS: We all would like to see plenty of pics of your Prius)

#3 WilDavis, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cold weather/age, all point to a bad battery.

There are lots of posts/threads on this site as WilDavis said and the multimeter check is what I used to diagnose my battery. I had a meter, but had no idea how to use it. A few simple pointers from PriusChat member UART solved that problem.

I used the jumper spot in the fuse box and a negative ground on the frame to check my 12V. Anyway, you don't need that elearnaid kit, as there are a number of aftermarket batteries that now fit the Prius.

I will be the lone voice though and lobby for a genuine Toyota battery from the dealer. A little pricey, sure, but if you hunt on the dealership web sites, etc., you can probably find a discount coupon. The big plus with the Toy battery is you know it will fit with no modification necessary.

From your questions, you sound as if you were in the same spot I was when I had to change my battery. Did not know much about it, but wanted to do it myself. The Toyota battery made that easy and they have a pretty impressive warranty, including free roadside service, installation during the initial two years and after that free replacement period, their pro-rata is not even that bad.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Toyota batter is the cheapest Toyota could source it for, just like the shocks, get something better. The optima is an exact oem fit, the price is much less than the Toyota and money is money.

6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would check the Optima's most recent "reviews" on this forum before recommending it.

I do think there are other options, Deka, the Marathon mentioned, which I think I read is made by Deka....Exide....so yes, there are other options than Optima or Toyota that seem to have the EXACT fit.

But, I haven't seen a better warranty than Toyota's. And, most towns of any size have a nearby dealership.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the Toyota battery is not the cheapest they could source, it's the best battery on the market. The reason I recommended the Optima on my previous post, it's because the OP wanted the best deal.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have a batteries plus store in the area?