1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Preventative Battery Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Moonlitsouls, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Moonlitsouls

Moonlitsouls New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hope all is well , i see a lot of info about people changing out a cell or their entire hybrid battery once it fails , but im wondering if i can avoid waiting until any catastrophic failure to do so. Ive had a couple signs that my battery may be on its way out. For one , on more than one occasion i saw the battery level raise from 1 bar to almost full within seconds or vice versa

What im hoping is that i can test it , replace the damage cells now to avoid any further issues and get as much life as possible out of this battery without having to do a full replacement? I have some beginners experience with batterys , i built my own Lithium battery for my RV , i have a multimeter and i can deff test voltages without much issue. Would appreciate some guidance or maybe a good youtube video i can follow along with , thanks a lot

Adam

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With only 145k+, we can assume that the HV battery is still the original?

Read up on Grid Chargers (the advanced search feature is working), as this may be a good time to cycle your HV battery before it fails.

Even a simple DIY grid charger (aka LED power supply), and a top balance could buy you some time.

srellim234 likes this.