1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prevention of door dings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RadGash, Jan 1, 2005.

1. RadGash

RadGash New Member

[font=Arial:8a6e6a6faa] [/font:8a6e6a6faa] </span><span style=\'color:black\'> Does anyone know of some door protection (pads or trim) that are available for the 2005 Prius from the dealer or otherwise? I live in an area where parking spaces are being whittled down into bicycle-size space allocations and door dings are a given. I have a Jeep Cherokee that has a plastic siding and it is absolutely ding proof! Is there anything like this for the Prius? I am about to buy a 2005 Prius and can already read the writing on the wall.

2. Ms. Piggy

Ms. Piggy New Member

See This thread for info on the body side molding group buy now in progress.

3. RadGash

RadGash New Member

Thanks for the link Ms Piggy! Just what I was looking for. Although I still do not see why car manufacturers cannot make more of an effort to correct and/or protect a very common and well known weakness in auto ownership (door dings). The Jeep Cherokee has a wonderful (and tasteful) plastic WIDE side moulding that virtually eliminates the worry about dings. The strips offered for the Prius are fine as long as the arc of the offending door is at that exact level. But... something is better than nothing none the less. Thanks again!

4. Ms. Piggy

Ms. Piggy New Member

You're very welcome! I think Eddie is placing his order with the wholesaler on Monday, so you might be able to sneak into the first wave by placing an order on his website before then, but e-mail him first to check.

I also agree that I don't understand why the Prius doesn't come standard with the molding (or maybe all cars should be required to have plastic or rubber guards on the door edges instead!)

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You might try one of the X-Pel plastic sheet kits, or a comparable 3M kit. The stuff is also available in sheets, or strips, cut to your specs. Once in place, it is virtually invisible. I have my headlights covered but have not used it on other parts of the car. There are numerous posts from people who have used it on various parts of their cars and seem happy with it. The stuff is pretty bulletproof from what I hear.
    My solution is to park further away, and on the end of a row if possible. So far, I've been lucky, but I share your concern about dings and don't particularly appreciate Prius' vulnerability.
    Bob

6. RadGash

RadGash New Member

Gracias Baba! I'll Google it now.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Just for an alternative point-of-view:

I was all set to buy some sort of door-ding system for my new Prius -- I would have jumped on the group buy for the side mouldings (definitely the best solution, though I'd want a professional installer to put them on.)

However, when the car came in, I just loved the lines/smooth sides of my new Prius; and I was loath to put something on that would alter them.

The auto broker also pointed out that if I did get a ding in the car, there were a number of local guys who will drive out, remove the ding for less than $70.

However, I think I'm in a low-ding situation -- park it off-street at our house, and the park-and-ride parking lot I keep the car in has wide parking spots. And I park off in the empty regions of the parking lots. Sounds like you've got a much riskier area.

If I change my mind, the side body mouldings would be the way to go.