1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pri Energy monitor vs. Altima hybrid Energy monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Synergy, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Synergy

Synergy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey all. I decided to take a break from working on my powerpoint and look up the Nissan Altima Hybrid. I watched a few reviews on youtube and I noticed the energy monitor in it sort of looks like the one in the prius. I posted pictures of each. I really like the one in the Altima Hybrid, although it dosent look like it shows the battery SOC. I think the prius's energy monitor needs a little update. We've had the same energy monitor since '04. Maybe in 2010 model they will.

Comments? Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My neighbor works as a mechanic for the local Nissan dealership. He has been intrigued with my new Prius and how well it does compare to the Nissan Altima Hybrid. He has mentioned a few times the Nissan bought/acquired from Toyota the Hybrid Synergy Drive technology. I haven't verified that information, but since they sent him to the continual training about how to work on the Altima Hybrid and your pictures of the display I guess there might be some truth to that.

He was trying to to convince me to look at the Altima Hybrid while I was waiting for my Prius, but I find them to be ugly and lacking the higher average MPG ratings of the Prius.

I would agree some redesign of the MFD display would be a nice update.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At least in my '08, the Prius' screen shows instantaneous MPGs as a numerical
    value in the lower right.

I don't know why the screen you're showing doesn't have it. Perhaps the car
    was in ACCessory, as opposed to READY, when the picture was taken. I
    wonder if that's true for the Altima as well.

The iMPG data stream is very useful when easing back on the go-pedal to
    maximize MPGs when stretching a pulse to the top of a rise, or cruising on the
    level or slight down-hill. In the latter case, careful observations of the iMPG
    and the energy arrows can lead to Nirvana; yellow arrow or no-arrow glides
    at above 42 MPG. Wahoo!

4. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.. Nissan did indeed license the Hybrid Synergy Drive from Toyota for use in the Altima Hybrid.

I like the Altima Hybrid. It looks sporty for those who want something that looks a bit more aggressive than the Prius. It's a good alternative for those who are considering the Camry Hybrid (the two cars are comparable), especially since the Altima Hybrid still qualifies for a $2200 Federal Tax Credit while Toyotas qualify for zero. :cool:

5. ht_dave

ht_dave New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've had an '08 NAH for a couple of weeks now. It doesn't display the SOC on the display. This is probably because unlike the Prius, you only get the LCD display if you get the NAV system with the Technology Package. There is an analog battery guage that replaces the temperature guage that is in the normal Altima. Instantaneous MPG is shown on the multifunction display below the speedometer.

Attached Files:

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm? It's showing 99.9mpg. That's the instantaneous mpg.

Well you don't expect major stuff like that to be updated midlife. Just a higher resolution screen and a few tweaks were found on the 06+ models.