1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pria ended up in a ditch (with photos)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Michgal007, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a trip to the Great Smoky mountains in Tennessee on Friday (Aug 17). I had four of my friends with me in the car. On Saturday, we were searching for a trail near Gatlinberg, which is on the edge of the mountains. We took the wrong turn and went on driving. At some point, we decided to go on a diverted dead end route in search for the trail. It was quite a steep hill. After moving for about 40 meters, I decided that I don't want to drive on this hill. This was my first mountain drive, and boy didn't I underestimate the power of gravity!

Instead of taking a U-turn on the hill, I decided to reverse back to the main road. Because of the tree shade, I couldn't properly see from the back up camera. The car was rushing down the hill, and the brakes didn't help much (I probably didn't press it enough in the rush). The tires were not straight, so we were going on a slant. I pressed my brakes hard at this moment, but it continued to move back and then stopped.

We were on a ditch. A pole on the ditch prevented the car being hit a tree, but it damaged the back bumper cover. The chains connecting those poles scratched the side of the car. One of the tires was on air.

We called 911 and got it towed to the road. The tow truck driver and the cop were very intrigued about this mysterious car with no key!

All of us are ok. It's just Pria that is hurt. I feel bad for being careless like this. I shouldn't try climbing mountains with Pria I guess.

Glamour shot before the accident.

[attachmentid=10776]

After ending up in the ditch.

[attachmentid=10775]

[attachmentid=10774]

Attached Files:

2. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

Were you not able to get the car out of the ditch yourself? Seems the front tires were firmly on the ground and this is a front wheel drive, so I don't see what's to stop you from getting back on the road yourself.
    Anyway, sorry for your troubles.

3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Aug 19 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]498886[/snapback]</div>
    Since the ditch is in between the two front tires, I am not sure if I would've been able to do it myself. I was a little shaken, so didn't want to do more damages to the car.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry to hear that. Glad to hear everyone's ok!

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You must still look out the rear window when backing up; you can't trust the camera to give you an accurate view.

It also sounds like you began to move too fast while backing up, making it hard to maintain accurate position on the road. I don't see why you didn't just make the U-turn, even if it would take several back-and-forth moves to accomplish.

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It could have been worse. You could have gone off the other side of the road. :eek:
    As a dumb teen driver, I once loss control and ran off of Highway 1 on the Northern California coast. In the location where we were, if we would have gone off the ocean side, I know I wouldn't be here today - it was probably a 200 foot drop almost straight down to the ocean and rocks. I won't say what we were doing . . . let's just suffice to say I made my girl friend sit on her side of the car for the rest of the trip. :eek:

Chamaree, on your list of damage to have fixed, it's now time to have the wheel alignment checked too.

Now you know why when two cars meet on a one lane mountain road, it is the uphill car which is required to reverse back up the hill, rather than the downhill car reversing down the hill. [at least that is the law in California]

7. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm sorry to hear about poor Pria, especially after you just got her repaired after the parking lot hit-and-run :(

I fail to see where second-guessing you helps this situation; I will just say that I am glad to hear that no one is injured and I am confident that your insurance will cover all the repairs, including an alignment, that will be needed to have her as good as new.

Good luck with your studies :)

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone. I couldn't see through the back window much since three of my guy friends were sitting there. Anyway, this was a good experience. The other side of the road was not on a cliff, actually, if we went to that side, the damages would be minimal.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am glad that everyone is ok.

Is it me or the rear wheels do not look straight. It looks like toe-in.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The wheels go like that when lifed off the ground.
    Use side mirrors when reversing, camera is there for seeing kids and stuff behind the car to supliment the mirrors not for reversing down a hill.
    You need to keep speed very slow reversing down a hill, the brakes are the wrong way around when reversing.
    Glad no one got hurt.

11. dareniott

dareniott New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 20 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]499105[/snapback]</div>
    Does anyone know if 'B' engine breaking works in reverse and if so at what speed will it slow you?

Glad to here everyone is o.k.! That'll learn ya not ta go ta Tennessee.

12. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dareniott @ Aug 20 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]499136[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt it.

But by the time engine-braking makes any difference, you're going to be moving way too fast anyway.

13. Rufio24

Rufio24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am from the East Tennessee area and LOVE the Great Smokey Mountains. However, I will be sure to not make the same mistake. Sorry for the troubles!

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should drive north instead; we have fewer hills. Of course, you could end up in the lake.

Tom

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dareniott @ Aug 20 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]499136[/snapback]</div>
    "B" is a forward "gear."
    Oh, and if "B" is used for backing down a steep road, it may just lead to engine "breaking." ;) :lol:

16. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear that you and your friends are OK.

One thing that strikes me is that you should work on your driving skill, preferably in safe, fenced in place. This time, your accident occurred on a secluded mountain road but chances are that the next time you fail to apply the brakes properly, misjudge the road condition or something else related to simple mistakes you might hit some innocent bystander.

The 'B' won't work when going in reverse.

17. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

Tenebre, what is that car in your avatar and why is it there? Just curious.

18. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Aug 20 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]499311[/snapback]</div>
    That is my old car (a Citroën C2 VTR). The picture was taken at the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring after a few laps. The picture is there since I have yet to snap a decent photo of my new car (my digital camera is on repair under warranty and I'm not a very good photographer when I do have the camera).

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, well that had to be frightening. glad you and company are okay and the car made its way out of the ditch. car repair is far cheaper than human repair!

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Aug 19 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]498929[/snapback]</div>
    If you can't see out the back window, then you shouldn't be backing up any considerable distances. The camera is a gadget, and is not actually a replacement for proper sightlines.