1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIA started screaming!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Michgal007, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I started the car and drove for 20 meters and I heard some noise. I thought it was some outside noise so I ignored it. Then people on the street started starring at me. I rolled down the window and realized it was coming from PRIA. It was SO loud, I am sure people who were a block away could hear it.

Seemed it came from the tires. I didn't have ANY warning lights on. When I stopped the car, the noise stopped. When I was moving slowly, the noise was coming out slowly. When I accelarated it started screaming. More like metal scraping.

I got SO scared. I put my blinkers on and then turned off the car. Then started again and the sound was not there anymore. I drove for about 10 miles afterwards, and no noise.

What could it be? The temp is about 20-30F and I didn't let it warm up. Any advice please. I am going on a big road trip tomorrow!!!

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Oct 13 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]332409[/snapback]</div>
    A loose engine drivebelt might make a noise like that. Also maybe a rock stuck next to the brake caliper, or a brake splash shield may be bent and making intermittant contact with the rotor. These have all happened to me, but not on my Prius. Good luck. Intermittent problems are the hardesrt to find and fix.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would lean towards something with the brakes. Something like a rock stuck next to the brake caliper (as subarutoo suggests), or something else that was causing the brakes to squeal. From your description, I sort of doubt it was a loose engine belt, since it was probably fairly likely that the ICE wasn't running for *some* of the time you were driving.

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sorry, but I'm chuckling right now. That entire post is priceless.

I hope you get to the bottom of this though...

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    probably something in the brakes. happens often enough.

what drive belt? :D

6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 13 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]332424[/snapback]</div>
    Do explain why you find this funny. I am a first time driver and it scared me half to death.

7. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have years of driving experience and still hate car issues of any kind. You just feel helpless not knowing what's going on. Hearing such a loud and obviously wrong noise coming from Pria, would scare me to death too Michgal007!

I hope it was something to do with the brakes like the other posters have suggested and your trip goes safely and smoothly.

8. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 13 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]332424[/snapback]</div>
    Everything from the subject of the post on down is hillarious to me. Trust me, I've been there. The car "screaming" the people staring the panicked feeling. Just the way you put it all into words was priceless. That's all.

9. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 13 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]332457[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I can be as serious as you.

Prius is masculine, if you count the word as a noun in Latin. (I don't)

Pria is feminine. You performed a sex-change operation on your vehicle! Bad dog! You ever hung around a woman very long before she started screaming at you? And you know you deserve it.

I rest my case.

(But I feel your pain and hope you find the solution. I suspect brakes, although they last forever in this car. Mileage?)

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The same thing happened to me... the loud shreeking noise from the brakes that went away by itself after a brief stop. In my case, the ABS system failed about a couple of months later, out of warranty. :(

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's another theory: Perhaps the parking brake was not released the first time you started off. After you stopped to consider the problem, you set and released the parking brake normally.

This situation can also happen if the parking brake cables pick up some ice and don't release completely, even if you release the brake.

What I find odd is that you still thought the sound was "outside noise" for almost 20 miles. After a few blocks, did you just assume something noisy was following you? :)

12. chimohio

chimohio New Member

I've had work drive belts sound like they are screaming. You didn't mention your mileage but I'm gonna guess it's not a lot. If it comes back stop and feel all the wheels around the brake pads to see if they are hot. Might tell you something.

13. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Oct 14 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]332873[/snapback]</div>
    No I meant 20 meters, not 20 miles. I don't usuallly put parking brakes on, so it wasn't there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Oct 14 2006, 06:26 AM) [snapback]332660[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, thanks for letting me know. I only have about 2500 miles on it, just bought the car 6 weeks back. I called my dealer and she asked me to bring it, so they can check it out. I drove about 300 miles today and the car gave me no trouble.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It has happened to me twice now. Both time a bit of plastic caught in the front caliper. First time I could not figure it out, but it happened just before I got home. It sounded like it was coming from the left front. When I got home I got my wife to stand in the driveway and listen while I drove it back and forth next to her. On the second time a bit of plastic flipped out and she grabbed it. It looked like the clear plastic covers for on of those water bottles with the pop open and close tops. The second was a round piece of blue plastic that looked like it came from a plastic pop bottle. Both were pretty chewed up and both made a horrible noise almost finger nails on a black board. The tire must flip them up under some situations. In my case it was late in the day sunny and warm in the 80's FWIW