1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Priapus ate my CD. Again.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TonyPSchaefer, Oct 31, 2016.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got a new audiobook over the weekend. This morning, I inserted CD-1 into the 6-disk changer just to see if I was going to like the book. Everything sounded and seemed normal until after several seconds it wasn't playing. That's when I noticed the CD light was flashing amber. When I pressed the CD/Tape button, the screen read "CD ERROR".

At a couple stoplights, I shut down and restarted but that didn't resolve the issue.

This happened before and disconnecting the 12-volt for a few seconds resolved it. Guess that's what I'll be doing this evening.

For those who might not know, Priapus is the name of my car.

2. Priapus

Priapus Alter Ego

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mmmm. CDs are tasty. Nom nom.

Kevin_Denver likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    ^ There is your answer, but don't worry Tony, you'll get it back in 8 hours, give or take...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would trade it in on a gen4 and make the cd part of the deal, maybe someone is trying to tell you the book isn't worth the read.;)

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The last time I had such a problem, it was the cassette player and someone speculated that I had bored it to death.

bisco likes this.
  6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the problem on Saturday. Luckily, after I shut down the car and restarted it a few hours later, I hit eject and out it came.

I should say the CD still played during it's imprisonment, it just would not eject.

Last time this happened, which was maybe 12-16 months ago??,I had to pull the fuse for the audio....

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't help but to consider that pulling the Audio fuse would be easier and potentially safer than disconnecting the 12v. Would provide the same desired effect of cutting power to the radio.

8. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last time I messed with the 12v connection (when I put in a new battery), I got a shower of sparks when I reconnected the Neg. cable. I am not going to mess with that cable again if there is any other option. ;)

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    #9 TonyPSchaefer, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  10. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    don't you know your prius wants to rock out? audiobooks... the cd changer is trying to break it in half. that's why it won't give it back.

11. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    That "s*cks".
    All I can offer is to do a little CD changer maintenance.
    Can of compressed air, CD cleaner, keep using new manufacturer/ record label music/ audio book CD (not home made CD in other words).
    Good luck.

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There was a happy resolution.

First, I slid under the dash and unplugged the audio fuse. After a while, I plugged it back in and powered up the car. No change.

So I moved on to more drastic actions and disconnected the 12v battery. The best part is that there is a module on top of the 12v battery from which you only need to unplug the wire. In other words, it is not necessary to unscrew the bolt on the battery terminal. Again, I waited several seconds, noticing that the light normally blinking on the dash was eerily dark.

After reconnecting the 12v, the dash light blinked again. I powered up the car, immediately pressed [Eject], and was rewarded with the CD sliding effortlessly out of the dash.

One caveat. After putting the car back together, I went to move it out of the garage. For that first power-up, it didn't want to shift into [D]. It went into [N] and there was nothing I could do to change that. Remembering that sometimes it takes a few power cycles, I powered down and restarted. The second time, everything was fine. So if you need to disconnect the 12v for any reason, do not panic if the car does not shift into [D] the first time (and perhaps the second). Go through a few power cycles.

I took pictures of the disconnection process. When I get a chance, I'll add photos to this post.