1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Priapus Died in the Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Sep 16, 2004.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Someone came up to my desk and said that my car was beeping like no one's business. I went out and it sounded as though the security thing was going off, only there were two tones. One seemed higher than the other. Using the fob, I turned it off.

I figured, I would check things out and climbed inside. Hit power. Seemed normal... until:
    • I had to hold the "Power" button to shut it off. Simply punching it didn't work. Once powered down, the transmission blocks flashed a couple times and then went off. Once off, the Parking light flashed green.

I repeated this process a couple times with the exact same results.

I'm going to call the Prius hotline and see what they say.

The only thing I can think of (which I'm not going ot mention to them) is that I could have somehow left it "on" and the engine kept recharging the battery until it ran out of gas. I've seen a few posts about this type of thing.

Thoughts, anyone? Right now, my heart's somewhere just South of my stomach.

2. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    UPDATE:
    Went out to call Prius Support from the car. Got in, punched power, said a little prayer to Priapus, our patron saint, and everything came to life.

But when the MFD came on it had this message:
    [Caution]
    The transmission [P] lock mechanism is abnormal. Park your car at a flat place, and apply the parking brake completely

The only warning light was the big Triangle Exclamation Mark. My fuel level was at four, not three. The [P] light was flashing green. All else was normal.

Here's what I did, in order:

• Situation Normal? I don't know.

I'm going to call my Toyota dealer and ask if they can pull the codes. Also going to ask if they are going to charge me in the event that they don't find anything.

3. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

I think you are justified in pushing for some analysis at no charge regardless of outcome. You had some serious warning messages and the immediate repeat performances were unsettling at best (show the service department your post). Both they and you (and I) are learning about this car. Remember, they probably don't have one of their own. :lol:

Good for you for trying again. I can't count how many computer system problems have been solved by just trying it again.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The next time you have it serviced at a dealer have them read the computer's trouble codes; that might tell you what you did wrong :_> It kinda sounds like you left it ON and without the parking brake set hard enough.

Very important to press our beloved's buttons firmly and deliberately, and hold them until you get the expected response. Stabbing at them can lead to grief.

5. jchu

jchu New Member

I think that would depend on when Tony gets his service done. I seem to remember from other posts that the computer clears the code(s) after something like a hundred successful restarts. John1701a, et. al. correct me if I am wrong.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tony. Don't ask them specifically to "pull the codes." If they find nothing they could assert that you requested specific action and charge for that.

Instead, tell them what the car did, and ask them what's wrong. They'll pull the codes on their own. Then you can ask them if they found any codes.

There have been numerous similar experiences reported. All go something like this: I was driving, or I got in the car, and suddenly warning lights came on. I did thus-and-such, and eventually all the lights went off and all was well, and the car worked fine. Sometimes the story includes, I took it to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong.

Toyota knows that this happens, and they cannot charge you for trying to diagnose an incident of bogus warning lights.

Good luck. I hope this was just another bogus warning. But it's sure worth a trip to the dealer to be checked out.

A friend of mine had this happen in her 2002 Prius. She was on the road far from home. She was stuck for a whole weekend in an unfamiliar city as her car was towed to a dealer. The dealer found nothing wrong, the car resumed working fine, and has been fine ever since.

We are pioneers. Such things happen. Imagine if you'd been a different kind of pioneer 150 years ago, and the wheel fell off your covered wagon in the middle of Oklahoma!

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sounds like a computer glitch to me...it is possible if you have SS/SE to leave the car on i guess... i dont have that problem so i cant leave the car on no matter what.

if you see no problems for next few days, i would say forget about it. i doubt that the dealership could tell you what happened any more than Microsoft support could tell you why your computer booted up funny that one time.

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can confirm a hard reset. When I backed out of the parking spot, I heard an old familar sound: the Reverse beeper. I turned that off on the first night. Checked my Average MPG and Miles: Reset. Both trip odometers: reset. Radio Stations: still programmed.

But this got me thinking about jchu's post. Is it possible that one reason there are sometimes no codes is that the hard reset erased them? If the codes are overwritten on a regular basis, that seems (to me, anyway) to indicate that they are stored in a temporary medium, not something permenant enough to survive a hard reset.

I was wondering if those times when people are able to have codes pulled, they can confirm that their system was reset or not.

The drive was great as usual. 54.7 MPG from work to home. I usually track whole tanks.

BTW, I did call Toyota Maintenance and talked to a guy who offered to pull the codes. But he gave the disclaimer that if they don't find anything, I will be responsible for the labor charge. $40.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I will put the parking brake on... always! My partner called me to cover for him several weeks ago. His wife was in Ellensburg had parked on a hill in the down hill direction and put it in park but did not put on the parking brake first! When she got back to the car she could not move it. She had to get a tow truck to pull it back a few inches to take the strain off the transmission. Then after putting on the parking brake she could start the car and put it in gear. It was a Jag. You would think that a engineer could design a better transmission than that, but the person at the Jag dealer told they exactly what they needed to do. It is a known defect with the car. Known to everyone but the owner. :roll:

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Getting stuck in park is not necessarily a desgn flaw. In the vast majority of automatic trannies, the park function pushes a metal rod into a hole somewhere inside the tranny (I haven't seen one apart to know where). Since it is a mechanical function, too much pressure (from parking on a steep hill without the brake), can cause it to bind into place. While some cars may be more prone to it than others, it can happen to any automatic transmission equipped vehicle. The same possibility is conceivable with the prius, despite being electronically engaged.

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I still have to wonder what happened to take Priapus from a parked and “off†situation to one in which he was blowing his horn and encountering errors. I could understand if I were driving and went to quickly accelerate but found nothing because water vapor had gotten into the engine manifold. Or if I were starting the car and encountered some problems upon boot. But for him to be setting in the parking lot minding his own business one minute and then in a state of code red the next is akin to my PC crashing after I had turned it off. And if it happened here at work in the middle of the day, who’s to say that it won’t happen again, at home, in the middle of the night?

That part still boggles me. I need closure.

12. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I know that this is slightly off topic, but how can Toyota justify charging you 40 dollars because there is a problem with the car. Having the tech plug the OBD in takes less than a minute. I am bothered by these reports...

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

make sure they have done the SSC40D update other wise most of the OBD11 codes are not stored. Do a search on PC for SSC40D and see if your Prius is in the range of serial numbers to be affected if it is have it done soon so if this happens again they'll get the code. Most OBD11 codes self erase after 40 succesful restarts.

14. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"39860)</div>
    I think Daniel has hit it... Prius is, 'TO GO BEFORE' ... and we are playing with a rolling computer....

Bob

15. mikeslavis

mikeslavis New Member

Tony,

Have you figured this out? I'm anxious to find out what happened to Priapus...

[email protected]

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikeslavis\";p=\"40666)</div>
    Not a clue. Still think about it but can't come to grips with what could possibly make a car go from OFF to ERROR. He's been driving just fine ever since. MPG currently at 51.4 which is average for my regular driving.

If this happens again, I think I'm going to NOT restart Priapus but call Prius Assistance. I'll let them start him and receive the problems. This way, there is no denying it. I fear that restarting him three times and letting him perform a hard reboot is never going to provide problem codes. It'll be the perfect case of knowing that the mechanic will see the problems.

Then again, if they can't directly find a problem, they might keep him - in multiple pieces - for a long time while I get a rental/loaner. That type of seperation anxiety is something I can live without.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think people have reported getting warning lights that go away on the next start. Having it flatbedded to the dealer is no guarantee that they'll see error codes. But it may improve your chances.

I think if it happened to me I'd make every effort to get it to resume working properly, before taking it in.

Does calling Toyota Assistance get you someone who can pull codes? Or does it just get you a tow-truck?

18. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I figured it would just get me a tow truck or flatbed.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flyingprius\";p=\"40021)</div>
    That isn't something everyone does. My dealer gave me no problems at all. Also, I think that if you call Toyota Cust. service before going to the dealer and they make a report then you're pretty well covered. The lack of them finding a code does NOT mean there isn't/wasn't a problem with the car. If they claimed that no code means no problem I'd ask them what the SSC 40D was for and if they told people the same thing before that campaign came out. And if the possiblity that there are other issues (like hard resets) that would clear the codes or allow them to not be recorded. You shouldn't be punished for that design flaw and be presumed to be 'making up the problem' just so you have the privledge of sitting for several hours in the cozy confines of the Service dept. waiting room!!

20. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"40785)</div>
    Wow. Sounds like someone's having flashbacks. It's okay, Evan. Deep breaths. It's all going to be alright. :-D