1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

price comparison

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KimS, Nov 4, 2005.

1. KimS

KimS New Member

Is the navigation package that also includes the side air bags, added stability, fog lights, better sound package worth the extra $?

2. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted the additional safety features: the side airbags, fog lights, and stability control. Since we could get a pkg 6 (w/Nav) much more quickly than any other package, we just closed our eyes and wrote the check.

It only hurt for a little while. :)

It's very much been worth it.

Karl B.

3. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Hmmm tough one... I have the fully loaded Prius and could not like it more.

Perhaps it would be best to ask yourself, "What if I get in an accident that I could have avoided with VSC, and suffer a closed head injury because I did not buy side air bags?"

It's much better to be able to ask yourself, "What if?" than to later be asking yourself, "If only..."

4. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

The navigation system is a very handy feature. The Toyota one is done fairly well, and it's gotten me out of a number of binds. It's extremely convenient and comforting to know that you can never really be lost.

5. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As everyone above has stated - it's very nice to have.

My main reason for pkg6 was the NAV. All the other stuff were great bonuses. I even added leather, which I love (fyi - this was the first car I've ever had with leather).

The real question - Can you afford it? And are those features worth the extra money to YOU? If the answer to both is yes, then go for it.

6. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

If you are a techno-geek like me, you'll be thrilled with all the car can do. I use every single gadget on my package 6. Some people don't like cars that have tons of gadgets; I'm just the opposite... I'd probably get weather radar over an Internet link if I could. :p

I can go anywhere anytime, and know all about my surroundings when I get there. Plus, it's just plain cool to not only have the phone integrated into the car, but into the NAV system as well.

See a hotel down the road? Touch it's icon, a "INFO" button will appear at the top of the screen, push that, and details including a phone number will appear. Just press the phone icon, and you are connected to make reservations! (One note: You have to do a software override to get this capability while in motion, but you can do the override while in motion too)

You can use the NAV system to save gas day-to-day if you like. Just arrange your stops in an oval.

You can 'mark' anywhere you find yourself, so you can find your way back later.

You will see posts saying how much the NAV costs, but it is usually pretty interesting to see how they calculate it. They low-ball the other options you get, and then say the NAV cost is in the thousands. I doubt Toyota is giving away everything but the NAV. I really don't care though -- as I said, I use it all. An intergrated NAV system is not something they want, and that's fine too.

Anyway, I couldn't be more thrilled with the integration, and not having to mess with a separate installation or device. To each their own, many prefer it the other way around. You have to decide what you want... :D

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not really. You can get the VSC without getting the NAV package. The fog lights and upgraded stereo are worthless. The side airbags are very worthwhile, of course, and the NAV system with the accompanying Bluetooth functionality and voice control (does not work well in Toyotas, though) is very cool, but only worth it if you will use those features.

I spent the money, and don't regret it, but still think it's overpriced.

rpm

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My original plan was to get a #5 package (and get a portable GPS NAV system like Tom Tom). I then discovered that isn't available in So Cal (can only get #1, #3 or #6). After trying (and failing) to get one in Nevada, I decided to go for the #6

I'm pretty happy with it. Same thing happened on my last car (1990 Ford Probe). In order to get a rear wiper I had to get other options which I learned to like.

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I've been directed up what was marked as a road but ended up being a driveway, so it's not without a <cough> few misses among the hits.

I ordered this model when the no-side-airbags #8 proved elusive. I'm hoping I never need them, but it is nice to know they're there.

The extras are what led me to a Prius over a HCH, and I think it was worth it...

10. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As a recent purchaser of the #6, I have to agree with what was said earlier: If you are genuinely interested in it, just get it. Assuming of course you don't have to eat Top Ramen to own it. I have way too many friends when 6 months after they purchased a car they really liked "yeah, I just wish I had popped for the . . . ." that has got to be one of the worst feelings to have as a consumer. Either way, I think you will enjoy it.

11. Tomel

Tomel New Member

I don't have navigation on my current vehicles, nor do I plan to get it on the '06 Prius I have on order. Instead, I have a portable Garmin Quest GPS unit that I can move from car to car (even a rental car). This unit provides voice directions, but is not voice activated. It operates both on batteries (therefore, can be used when walking in an unknow city) and on aux. power. The cost - about $400. Personally, for the number of times I use the navigation unit, the $400 price was worth it, but the cost of a factory unit wasn't.

12. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

i've been asking myself this very same question. I wasn't willing to give up the side curtain airbags, or the fog lamps, so i think i'm going for a package 4 (6 if i end up with a 2006)

i really do want the nav unit, but looking at the prices, it's *much* cheaper for me to purchase an aftermarket nav system. they also have a couple features that i need that i *can't* make the factory system do.

basically, if you dont really think you want it, you aren't geeky enough to need it. go ahead and pick up a package 4 if you can (6 next year is the lowest package with the decent set of safety features) and add whatever you really want. the aftermarket dash nav systems are awfully impressive!

13. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree about the fog lights, but I think the stereo is a nice extra that goes with it. The 6 disc changer alone was something I found to be a nice bonus. I can't really speak to the speaker system as I don't know what the base system sounds like, but I am pleased with it. It's loud enough and decent enough quality. Is there better, sure, but it's certainly more than adequate.

14. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I always buy the best I can afford it I would like to have it...
    Its a curse to spend so much money to still wish you had something more... better get what you want or youll regret it!

Yep.... everytime I buy something till I say ouch!... then the pain goes away and I never regret it later!

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dangerous thing about buying something new is the learning curve.
    What I mean is that a prius with just the basics will thrill you at first.. but as you grow used to it, you will wish you had more..

kinda like a stereo or computer.. if you only get what you need, it gets boring too fast.. get the bells baby!