1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Price negotiation

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by lancew, Mar 1, 2008.

1. lancew

lancew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm shopping for a new 2008 Prius and have just just reviewed a New Car Price Service Report from Consumer Reports.

How negotiable are the prices on a new 2008 Prius? Can I expect to get near the "Bottom Line Price" or what % above "Bottom Line Price" should I expect?

Thanks for your comments :)

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really hard to say, except that you will get a better price if there are multiple dealers within reach.

3. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know what bottom line means. I just bought mine and I did the entire deal over the internet. I would get a quote and then forward that quote to all the Dealerships I was dealing with. More dealerships equals a better deal. It also depends on what you want. I went for the Magnetic gray Touring fully loaded and got it out the door for $27,950 give or take a dollar. My first quotes started at $26,500-$28,700. There is no difference in the car, if you know what you want, from one dealership to the next. The winning bid was $25,788 plus tax and tags. I was ready to buy, knew what I wanted, and willing to wait until I got the best deal I could get. Good luck!

4. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry Lancew I should tell you what the sticker was too. Maybe you can compare that to your consumer bottom line price.
    The sticker was $30,154 that included a delivery and processing fee of $660. There was a Extra Value Package MSRP Discount of $1,750. That brought the sticker to $28,404. I got the car for $25,788 plus tax and tags..so...about $27.950 out the door. I didn't get any other add ons at the dealership and I read on this forum that you can get a smoking deal on the extended warranty here vs the dealership. Good luck!

5. lancew

lancew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks to all for the comments. There's only 4 Toyota dealers within 100 miles of where I live so I'll have to negotiate hardy or expand my shopping area;)

Thanks again for the feedback.

6. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After the new favorable review that the Prius received in the latest issue of Consumer Reports I am sure that a price INCREASE is on the way. They have to ride this positive media gravy train all the way to the bank. ;)

7. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They have had very favorable reviews from Consumer Reports since 2004.....so I doubt any price increase...:)

8. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought my Prius a month ago so I have some experience with current pricing. I have found there to be some room for negotiations for the Regular prius, but not so for the Touring model. Even then, I don't expect you to find major discounts on the Prius. The recent spike in gas prices will make the Prius a continued if not hotter seller. So the more popular colors and packages, especially the Touring model #6 will be difficult to haggle over.

I recommend you to work all the Toyota Dealers in the area.

Good luck.

9. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With demand the way its trending our local dealer has take way all incentives and is charging sticker. If you want the Touring Model #6 then its a $500 premium. I was just there yesterday while mine was getting prepared and the "Prius Sales Expert " and I got to talking and he told me that there there is a waiting list of 23 people and growing looking for specific colors and packages. They are really milking the demand for these cars. He said that Dealer swapping is getting crazy. They just swapped 3 Priuses with a Dealer in LaCross WI for 7 Scions. It's crazy!

10. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a Package 4 from a dealer in Maryland for $24,400. A little more out the door with TTL, etc.

11. sweetguy

sweetguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got mine at actual invoice cost based on consumer reports pricing. I gave the dealer his document fee as his profit. It all depends on how motivated your dealer is to move a car. My dealer was motivated. In any event, the thing to do is let them know that you know their actual cost and then ask them what their minimum profit is. Let them know you're willing to drive to other dealers if you can get a better price. You can save over $1000 using these tools.

12. Jim S

Jim S Jim S

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just finished the deal on our white Prius with package #2 today. We found it best to check many dealers in more than one state. One dealer in Charlotte that was touted in this forum as really good wanted $2000 more than my best deal. We bought ours from the closest local (however very big volume reputation) dealer Shelor in Christiansburg VA. Our salesperson, Kelly Allen, I would highly recommend. We also found out that getting a car at the end of the month is also a bargaining chip because the dealers allocation of cars depends on that this stuff. It is getting harder for dealers to get Prius's apparantly. It also helped that one dealer in the next closest big city was fighting for our business which prompted our local dealer to make a better deal. So I highly recommend Shelor Toyota. In 1999 I couldn't make that recommendation, but they won me back and got rid of a sales manager from that era. I was impressed not just by the good car price but also the very pleasant atmosphere in the showroom and character/behavior of several of the salesmen and sales manager. It was rather calm/peaceful/cheerful and looked like everyone enjoyed working there and was friends. They had to get my car from about 70 miles away...arriving Monday.
    Hope this is helpful.....everyone on this forum was helpful to me.

13. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    well it won't cost you very much in gas if you have to drive one home a few hundred miles :)

14. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My dealer knew that I had already walked away once after test-driving one. I called back and (luckily 2 weeks later) they still had the very one I wanted (Super White Touring Pkg. 2) on the lot. En route to buy the thing (40 miles from my home) I haggled a bit and got them to come $1K off sticker, and the rest is history. Love it, best car on the road.:)