1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Price of Prius in Australia

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kentricho, Jun 27, 2006.

1. kentricho

kentricho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

On Thursday I am buying a 2006 Prius iTech (iTech is basically fully optioned model in Australia)

The price I was quoted was $49920AUD on the road ($36,638USD) and that came with tinted windows, paint protection, floor mats and full tank of gas.

Does anyone in the Australian market know if that is a good price?

The RRP for a prius iTech in Aus is $46,500

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kent

2. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kentricho @ Jun 26 2006, 11:51 PM) [snapback]277221[/snapback]</div>
    $3420 is too much for the extras you have quoted. My dealer threw in a tank of gas for free. The tinted windows, paint protection and floor mats should be way less than $1000. I think you will find the quoted price also covers delivery charges (in my case $1500 in Tas) on road costs, which is rego and state taxes. They may have included insurance, which is worth nearly $500.
    I suggest you ask the dealer what the $3420 consists of and see if the items I have mentioned are extras or included in the base price.
    Good luck with your Prius, I am sure you will enjoy it.

3. kentricho

kentricho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jun 27 2006, 10:30 PM) [snapback]277296[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Orf... YAY, someone else in Australia who actually has a Prius and frequents online :)

The RRP of the iTech ($46,500) is NOT onroad cost. The price I got quoted $49,920 is including the accessories AND the onroad costs.

I know the stamp duty on this car is around $2,300 (5%) and the rego is $560.

So, taking into account the fact that the quote included onroads and the accessories, do you think it is decent?

Can I ask what you paid in Tas?

Thanks heaps,
    Kent

4. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so ur sayin 3k for tint, and stuff?
    u can do those for around 1k somewhere else

5. Aussie56

Aussie56 New Member

Definitely seems a bit inflated for the extras. I drive the base model myself. Just found this forum today. It's good to find other Australian Prius drivers online. I drive 40,000km a year, mainly between Gladstone and Moura, Qld (my two home bases)

My main problem is paint chips at the moment, from driving on too many country roads.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe a front end mask? Do they have those in Australia? I haven't seen it for any car other than Canada and the US. It's just a vinyl cover that goes on the front of the car so that the paint doesn't get damaged from bug splats and stone/rock chips.

7. Aussie56

Aussie56 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 29 2006, 02:19 AM) [snapback]278484[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah - Actually my wife's car has one of those. I must enquire.

8. kentricho

kentricho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, well I just ended up getting the Prius. Got it in black YAY

I got paint protection, full tank of petrol, window tint and floor mats for $49,600AUD on the road.

For the Americans... just to explain the way our pricing works in Australia... we have a compulsory government registration fee of $560AUD plus government stamp duty of (for the Prius) $2,325 plus the dealer love to get their cut of it all... dealer delivery costs around the $1,500 mark (worlds most expensive car wash!)

So our onroad costs are in total: $4385AUD just to get our car on the road. So any price you see quoted (like the Prius - $46,500) add the onroad costs and that's what you can drive away for. So I got a discount of around $1200 and I got the paint protection etc etc.

Anyway, have to play the 3 month waiting game for delivery now, can't wait!!!

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't beat Singapore and their COE, road tax, licensing and GST. That's in addition to the high initial cost of the vehicle. I heard from some of the Singaporean Prius owners here on PC that the price of COE has dropped.

I remember back in 96 when a 1.8 or a 2.0 litre car would have a COE of SGP$30,000. That means a 1996 Ford Festiva at $50k is now $80k before GST.