1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Price paid for plug-in?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by sebval, May 17, 2012.

1. sebval

sebval Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How much did people here pay for their base prius plug-in?

Think there is any shot of getting it under MSRP?

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $700 below MSRP, preorder.

Little chance of getting that now, unless you can find a dealer that can't sell one.

3. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What you're going to see is a vast array of pricing - pre-orders that are cars that were destined to come to whatever dealership a customer ordered from. Those cars were often sold at or under MSRP but you can't use that data right now. It's not fair. After all of the pre-order cars are delivered, we as dealerships now have to EARN these cars and it isn't earning them based on JUST PHEV sales. It's on ALL Prius model sales.

Your real world pricing started AFTER the last PlugIn ordered car left a dealership's lot. That's how you gauge a REALITY deal... what it takes to buy one right now, with them being as scarce as they are.

One of the reasons an under-MSRP deal isn't realistic right now is because there's barely 2% profit margin in this car. It's not a "normal" car ... in the sense that most cars we sell in the 33K to 41K rance have at least 5% to 8% markup between invoice and sticker... so there's very little to discount in light of the fact that the cars are seriously trickling in one or two a week, and more cars than that are needed around here.

Look - we just dumped somewhere between 50,000 and 70,000 people in older hybrids OUT of the HOV lanes. And, you want a discount on the FEW cars that will get us all back INTO the HOV lanes? There are nowhere near enough cars sold throughout the entire country, let alone CA to get people back to their old, shorter stickered commute.

Dianne

1 person likes this.
  4. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It must suck when you have to spend 30 grand to get to work on time.

5. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    From what I can see of most phev buyers, at least my own, many control their work hours. One can always get to work in time by leaving earlier anyway. Most of us just want the technogy and fuel economy bragging rights. :)

We also want the personal luxury of getting away from the traffic jams in the Hov lanes.

6. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like the same experience of cruising thru a toll booth with an ezpass while everyone else waits in line. There aren't many hov lanes around here, I guess we don't have the volume for it.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, you can either drive no car at all, or a $30,000 car. Those are the only two alternatives in life.

8. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    During Memorial Day weekend I did some shopping and was able to get $500 off a plug in. This with the $2,500 federal tax credit and the CA $1,500 rebate check seemed like a good deal. But, I didn't want to drive a base model. So, I went with a Five ATP instead of a plug in.