1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prices of Used Prius in Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kinghuang, Mar 26, 2005.

1. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are there any resources like the Kelly Blue Book that covers Canada? I'm looking for a used Prius in Canada, but I'm not sure how to guage whether or not the prices I'm being quoted are good or bad.

At the moment, I'm looking at a used silver 2004 Prius with options package B and 46000 Km on the odometer. The asking price is CAD$29800. Seems a bit high to me considering how many Km it has. However, most of the other quotes I've gotten have been for the base model 2004 Prius at about the same price, though with lower Kms.

Does anyone have any guidance on what the going rate for a used 2004 Prius in Canada should be? I'm in Calgary, Alberta, but I've been searching across the entire country.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there was a 2k5 for sale last weekend in the Vancouver Sun an A model and 1500 k on it for 29K. There was a 2k1 at the Honda dealer for $19,995. I had a look at it, nice clean car with 57,000K, and a k21 local private with 120,000k for $16,995. CDN prices are very wierd. I guess it's just where and when but no logic in the pricing.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I haven't seen a single used hybrid. Must've not been searching hard enough.

Hmm. Using the Canadian Black Book site (linked from Toyota Canada's site), a 2004 with 46,000kms is worth $16,451 - $17,951. Of course, in reality, the asking price would be much higher since the dealer has to clean it, and make a profit. Also, the demand for it will raise the price. 46,00kms in one year is really really high.

4. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"76134)</div>
    They're extremely rare! I've been finding them mostly in either British Columbia or Quebec. Unfortunately, I'm making things even harder by limiting it to just 2004 or 2005 Priuses with the B package. :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"76134)</div>
    I didn't realize the Toyota website had that. Thanks for the hint. I was thinking the same thing about the odometer reading. 46000 Kms? Did the owner drive 2 hours to work every day? :?

I found a new listing yesterday for a 2005 Prius/Package B/4500 Km for about $31000. I tried calling the dealer a couple times today, but they must be closed for the long weekend. At least, that's what I think that French recording on the phone meant! :lol:

5. Frank Hudon

do they have a web site try and google them and see if anything comes of it.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha bon!

That 2005 one you mentioned sounds more reasonable but given that it's 4,500km and such a "low" price, it might be a demo. But hey, you'll love the Premium Package :)

Try Frank's idea. I'll go check a few websites around here

Frank, do you know if dealers are willing to send used cars out of province?

7. Frank Hudon

all will ship but with the mileage that a Prius gets it's a lot cheaper to fly out where ever and drive it home. I flew to Regina and drove the car home and still spent less than it would have to ship it and I drove it for a whole year for less than the dealer wanted to ship it to Vancouver. $800 to ship and I spent $627.16 to drive it for a whole year including driving it from Regina.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    alright. Well it's not that far from Calgary to Vancouver and it's much closer than Regina hehe.

I think the one he was talking about is from Regency (Kingsway)

9. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"76164)</div>
    Good guess! Regency is the one with the 46000 Km Prius. If the existing mileage wasn't so high, I'd have purchased it already! They also had another Prius with ~12000 Km on it, but it was just the base model, AFAIK. It's already been sold, anyways!

I fly to Vancouver quite a bit, so it'd be handy to get a used Prius there and drive it back to Calgary. It'd make a nice weekend roadtrip over the Rockies.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"76152)</div>
    Turns out the other dealer with the used (demo?) 2005 Prius simply isn't open on weekends. Their website only lists operating times for Monday to Friday. I'll have to try them again on Monday.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see. I don't have much praise for Regency (Kingsway) since when I was searching for a 2005 Corolla, the so-called Corolla guru couldn't tell me all the differences between the 04 and 05. :roll: My friend who knows a technician at Regency (Lougheed) apparently says that dealership is a bit better.

11. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I happened to find a demo Prius for sale in town today. A Salsa Red 2004 Prius with the B Package and 4500 Km on the odometer. So, I bought it! :D

I'd rather have Tideland Pearl or Seaside Pearl, but Salsa Red isn't the end of the world. Now, I just have to wait for approval on the financing!

So, what should I do to prepare for it? I think some people here have said that they read the manual while waiting for their Prius. Where can I find the manual? Also, I recall a mention of some sort of checklist? Should I go through that too?

I think I'll have trouble sleeping until I pick it up! :?

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow! congrats! You'll love it =)

Hmm you could read the manual if you wish though I usually do that on the day I get the car =)

There is a checklist though technically, your dealer should complete one and give you a copy stating they have given the vehicle a once-over.

www.vfaq.net is where you find the checklist

also browse john1701a.com for his Prius User Guide

13. Frank Hudon

congrats' now you can drive to Vancouver for less than you can fly.

14. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks! I know I will. It's taken me 9 months to figure out what kind of car to buy. But, after seeing the Prius on a trip to San Francisco last month, I knew I'd found the answer!

No doubt about that! There'd probably be fewer emissions, too.

I do volunteer work for Sustainable Alberta Association and I often feel like such a hypocrite for driving a gas-guzzling machine to meetings while almost everyone else transited. Driving a Prius isn't quite the same as transiting, but it doesn't seem as bad.

This is more exciting than Christmas morning! ;)

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :D. Well, happy first tank. May you get < 5.0L/100kms.