1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pricey Gas? That's Reality (James Howard Kunstler)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by larkinmj, May 30, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Pricey Gas? That's Reality
    By James Howard Kunstler, TomPaine.com
    Posted on May 30, 2006, Printed on May 30, 2006
    http://www.alternet.org/story/36746/

It's actually kind of funny to hear Americans complain these days about the cost of gasoline and how it is affecting their lives. What did they expect after setting up an easy-motoring utopia of suburban metroplexes that make incessant driving inevitable? And how did they fail to register the basic facts of the world oil situation, which have been available to us for decades? Those facts are as follows: oil fields follow a simple pattern of production and depletion along a bell curve. Universally, when an oil field gets close to half the amount of oil it originally possessed, production peaks and then declines. This is true for all oil fields in the aggregate, for a nation and even the world.

In the United States, oil production peaked in 1970 and has been declining ever since. We extracted about 10 million barrels a day in 1970 and just under five million barrels a day now. Because our consumption has only increased steadily, we've made up for the shortfall by importing oil from other countries.

There is now powerful evidence in the production figures worldwide that we have reached global peak oil production. The collective nations of the earth will not make up for this by importing oil from other planets.

Contrary to a faction of wishful thinkers, the earth does not have a creamy nougat center of oil. Oil fields do not replenish themselves. Also contrary to the prevailing wish, no combination of alternative fuels will allow us to keep running the interstate highway system, Wal-Mart, Walt Disney World and the other furnishings of what Dick Cheney called our "non-negotiable way of life."

People who refuse to negotiate with the circumstances that the world throws at them automatically get assigned a new negotiating partner: reality. Reality then requires you to change your behavior, whether you like it or not. With global oil production peaking, we are now subject to rising oil prices, as markets are forced to contend with allocating a resource heading in the direction of scarcity. Oil prices are only likely to go higher -- though there is apt to be a ratcheting effect as high oil prices depress economic activity and thus dampen demand for oil which will depress prices leading to increased consumption which will then kick prices back up, and so on. The prospects for more geopolitical friction over oil also self-evidently increase, as industrial nations desperately maneuver for supplies.

Mainly though, the danger lies in the resulting instability of the super-sized complex systems that we depend on daily.

Trouble with oil will spell huge problems with how we grow our food, how we conduct trade, how we move around and how we inhabit the terrain of North America. These systems are going to wobble and eventually fail unless some effort is made to reform their scale and their procedures. For example, Wal-Mart's profit margins will disappear as higher diesel fuel prices hit its "warehouse-on-wheels."

Now, in the face of this, you'd think that the national leadership in politics, business and science would prepare the public for substantial necessary changes in the way we do things. What we are seeing across the board, though, is merely a desperate wish to keep the cars running by any conceivable means, at all costs. That is the sole target of our focus. Our leaders don't get it. We citizens have to make other arrangements.

But we must. We have to live differently. We're going to have to re-inhabit and reconstruct our civic places -- especially our small towns -- and we're going to have to use the remaining rural places for growing food locally, wherever possible. Our big cities will probably contract, while they densify at their centers and along their waterfronts. Our suburbs will enter a shocking state of economic and practical failure.

We cannot imagine this scenario because we have invested so much of our collective wealth the past 50 years in the infrastructure for a way of life that simply has no future.

We'd better start paying attention to the signals that reality is sending or we will be living in a very violent, impoverished and demoralized nation. And we have to begin somewhere, which is why I suggest we start by rebuilding the national passenger railroad system. It would have a significant impact on our oil use. It would put a lot of people to work on something meaningful and beneficial to all ranks of American society. The equipment is lying out there rusting in the rain, waiting to be fixed. We don't have to re-invent anything to do it.

The fact that we are not even talking about such solutions shows how unserious we are.

James Howard Kunstler is the author of The Long Emergency, just released in paperback by The Atlantic Monthly Press.

© 2006 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
    View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/36746/

2. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I concur! Good article, Thanks for sharing!

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like Kunstler's writing. His blog entry about China as a "change agent" was great. But he's a social critic, not a scientist, and many of his predictions have not come true (yet). Look at what he predicted for 2005.

He could be ten or more years off in his prediction of where the oil peak is, and the peak could be more of a plateau with a more gradual drop-off in production rather than a steep decline. But regardless of what turns out to be correct, the planet and its inhabitants would be better off if we started acting as though his predictions were accurate.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 1 2006, 03:57 AM) [snapback]263940[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it wouldn't be peak oil, by definition if it plateaued. It's possible that that could happen though, if demand stayed flat and supply could meet that demand. But it wouldn't be peak oil then. Of course, even if demand stays flat peak oil will happen. It's just a matter of time. That's the big question though. There are so many variables and no one has all the data. My guess is we'll hit it 2015-2020 since that's pretty much right between the aggressive predictions (already happened) of the doomsday crowd, and the peak oil is way out (2047+) predictions of the ostrich crowd.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

I think his predictions are waaaaay too pessimistic.We currently use about 20,0000,000 B/DAY of oil for vehicle fuel,chem feedstock,electrical gen etc.We import about 11M B/D. Our other energy use-electricity from coal,natural gas,nuclear,hydro,and a tiny bit from wind-might be the equivalent of
    to 10m-15m b/d.
    Yes,I do think there will be a bit of a shock-probably a series of shocks over the next 10-20 years,but they will be more like 1979 than the "peak oil" catastrophe many predict.Why am I so optimistic?Three reasons:
    1)We have lots of relatively easy,cheap, job producing changes that could be implemented for conservation.I don't mean tiny 1-2 percent improvements,I mean huge- improvements that cut use by 50%.
    a)smaller,more FE vehicles that will allow us to remain fairly mobile.Our current personal vehicles probably average no better than 17 mpg(real life not EPA).If tomorrow we all switched to Zafiras(a Euro 8 passenger GM minivan that can be TDI equipped) we would instantly be getting 32 mpg with no impact on our car culture.The Zafira would be great for Home Depot type runs,and a great USA road trip type vehicle.Sure some folks still will need pickups,SUVs for work/towing, but probably just a small percent.The others could rent when they need a big vehicle-cheaper for everyone-and it would creat more jobs. We would save about 5,000,000 barrels a day doing this, and it is relatively painless.It won't happen with a Republican administration(punitive mpg penalities would have to be enacted).
    b)There are lots of easy,simple,cheap ways to improve home efficiency.Dump incandescent bulbs-the compact flou. use about 20% of the energy, and they don't produce the heat you have to run your AC harder to get rid of.Insulation and energy saving home improvements-windows,doors, 16 SEER ACs etc, could easily cut home electricity-heating oil use by 50%!!
    c)We have huge amounts-reserves-of energy-coal,oil shale,oil sands.Granted these things are expensive-maybe the equivalent of $3.00-$3.50 gasoline, and they can be dirty-CO2, SO2,NOX etc., but these problems are "fixable" for a price.The CO2 could even be converted to carbonates-solid-that would have recycle potential(building,roads).True, it isn't cheap,but fuel is expensive now,so they make $$ and cents,sense. We also have lots of arable land, and lots of fresh water and salt water aquaculture potential for fuel and food.The USA is very,very good at the sort of agricultural innovation that would be required.Same story on the biochemistry,microbiology,genetic engineering that will be required.
    Oh,well,I'm optimistic.If them Dems manage to not shoot themselves in the foot-2008- the changes will be fairly qiuick.If the Dems screw up(fair chance), it will still happen, but a little slower.
    A 65mph national speed limit might save 250,000 barrels a day.
    We will need quite a bit of government "interference".The "lower classes" will want the "upper classes' to suffer some also, so house size-energy use limits might have to be instituted.A size limit of 4000 sq ft for new construction seems reasonable. 2000 sq ft is comfortable for a 5 member family-4000 sq ft would be plenty for even the most garish Mc Mansion.They can dump the extra cash into nice floors,granite,hardwood whatever.Hey, just post the total cost of the house on the curb.Same story on vehicles-put a weight, and mpg limit on them-say 4800 lbs and 25 mpg average.Sure,it will cost plenty of $$ to lighten an Escalade to 4800 lbs, but so what.Spending a lot is part of the reason to buy a big flashy vehicle.A 4800 lb high tech 4 cyl TDI(200 hp-3 liter) with a 7 speed auto/manual could get that sort of mpg tomorrow.Tax the vehicles when they are sold-don't increase fuel tax too much because it will put the pain on the middle and lower econ classes that can't afford it. Make electricity use tax progressive-not much on 1500 KWH/month, but make it progressively more punitive above that.This will make Mc Mansions less popular.

Luck,Charlie

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phoebeisis @ Jun 7 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]267356[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to share your optimism. I don't, however, because it is based on either people changing their behavior voluntarily, or being forced to through legislation. A small percentage of people (such as us Prius drivers) will live responsibly and make changes of their own accord to improve our condition, but from what I see most people won't change their ways unless forced. Not only are there still many people driving big SUVs, but I can't tell you how many of them that I see leaving their car idling while they go to run an errand. And as far as forcing change, like limiting how big one can build a house- governments such as ours are very adverse to restricting personal choice (unless it's of the type such as who you can marry). So I don't see these changes occurring on a large scale until the day comes when cars are lined up around the block to get the last of the available gas. But I hope I'm wrong!

I'd like to see vehicles available to us here in the US such as the Zafira, or the Toyota Versa (I've been saying that on this forum and I hope the Toyota guy was listening!). When minivans were first introduced here, there were a few similar vehicles sold here (the first generation Honda Odyssey, for instance). Many people have a need to transport 6 or 7 people, and our only choices here are SUVs or minivans, and minivans sold in the US are anything but mini. Hopefully we'll have better choices available in the future.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My hybrid search sort of began on the minivan side of thinking,
    and when I found out that Toyota had been selling the Estima over
    in Japan for like 2 years with no hope of them or an equivalent
    showing up here, that really pissed me off. Fortunately, getting
    a Prius made it all better [for now].
    _H*