1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pricing Questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by snorkelsandy, Oct 25, 2010.

1. snorkelsandy

snorkelsandy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Greetings all,

I have read through much of this forum. Great info! I have a Prius brochure. I have looked at the Truecar and AmEx websites. But I have not yet registered to send my request to the local dealers. I am trying to purchase this weekend. I have additional questions:

1. As I compare the III and the IV, I THOUGHT that one key difference was that the IV had the navigation package and the solar roof already included in the base pricing. (I see that the IV has leather, a key difference. But most everything else is equal isn't it?)

What I am seeing online is a different starting pricing, but both of them have these as added options. For the III the solar roof is $3166; for the Nav it is $1726. BUT for the V, the solar roof is $3564; and the Nav is $2124.

2. Why the difference if you are adding the same item?

3. I must be incorrect that either of these are included in the base price. If they are not, then what makes up the bulk of the difference in pricing between the III and the IV? Is it just the leather seating?

Sorry if my question is unclear, but I want to get the best deal and I am torn between the III and the IV. The two things I want are the solar package and the Nav system.

Thanks for any help on this pricing confusion I am having.
    sandy

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The solar package is available from Toyota on the III & IV only & includes nav. The nav package is available on the III, IV & V. Cars are ordered by the Region so not all combinations are going to be available in your area. Package pricing is the same regardless of model. The Advanced Technology Package is only available on the V.

The IV has leather, water repellant side windows, auto dimming Homelink mirror, Plasmacluster & 3 door SKS. It doesn't sound like much but once you don't have to press a fob button to open a door it's hard to go back.

The 2010 is no longer in production so you are stuck with whatever is in inventory. AAA also has a buying program.

1 person likes this.
  3. snorkelsandy

snorkelsandy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for your info.

I meant to compare the III and the IV, but my pricing for the difference says "V" - my mistake.

The only thing I still don't understand is why there is a price differential to add the Solar or Nav package to a III compared to a IV. Isn't it the same package? Comparing apples to apples, putting the solar in the III should cost the same as putting it into the IV, shouldn't it? All of the other differences are already factored into the base price, right? What am I missing?

sandy

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    www.aaa.com is showing the NAV package invoicing $400 more on the IV compared to the III. I am not affiliated with Toyota so I believe the reason they charge $400 more is "because they can". Selling (or asking) price is based more on what the market will bear, not cost plus. The higher you go, the higher the profit margin. This is why factory incentives will be higher at the top end.