1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pricing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Joshuaa, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Joshuaa

Joshuaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thoughts about this pricing? IMG_0525.png IMG_0520.png IMG_0523.png

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks like a great car and a great deal, all the best!

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah that is a very good deal. I would get a carfax and do a Dr. Prius test.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Me personally I think they're out of their minds. They're not but anyone considering it should be looking real closely real hard 68K on a car that's I don't even know what 2008 13 15 years so it's meant most of its time doing what exactly right Not driving that's for sure and that can be just as bad as the driving in the mileage was this kept in air condition storage or in a heated and cooled garage what part of the country is the car from so it's never had anything done with pretty much of anything so you're going to have all that if any of that is time sensitive like I'm thinking the brakes might be and other electronic things could be I wouldn't want to find out on my dime at 9500 when I buy a lot of these cars for a thousand or less this car looks like it has the interior I can't stand the tan velor whatever It will need to be a mama's car going back and forth to work at the grocery store much else in that interior will suffer badly no children one similar to this just sold here locally for $6,500 but I think it had $139k I would rather have the $139 k this many years in at least that personally.

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    68K miles in 15 years is about 4500 miles a year, 86 miles a week, or 12 miles a day, on average. In other words, the car has hardly been driven, and might have been parked for an extended period. I would try to find out. But while super low mileage can often be a sign of fraud, it is also pretty common if this is an old person's last car. Since I retired I have been driving very little too. My daughter recently picked up a car like from one of her husband's relatives - the owner had been too ill to drive it for many years. They changed all the fluids, checked the rubber, put on new tires, and it has been working fine for over a year now.

bisco likes this.
  6. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Predicting the future of a car based on mileage can be tough. So low mileage is not a guarantee that expensive repairs will happen. A nice paint job can be "created" by a good detailing shop. I would consider the seller, is it the owner or a dealer. Would I buy it? For me, no. I have a garage and tools to keep maintenance costs down. For my kids or someone who can't fix them maybe,

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    10 Best Used Cars Under $10,000 from kbb last March.

1. 2012 Toyota Camry
    2. 2011 Honda Accord
    3. 2013 Honda Civic
    4. 2012 Toyota Corolla
    5. 2013 Mazda3
    6. 2013 Subaru Outback
    7. 2010 Toyota Venza
    8. 2014 Ford Fusion
    9. 2014 Subaru Impreza
    10. 2012 Volkswagen GTI

Personally I think even an immaculate G2 for $9.5k is priced a little on the high side, especially up in the frozen North, and doubly so with some of the potential hybrid related problems that would render the vehicle non-drivable (power-split device, inverter, traction battery etc....)
    To be fair.....
    KBB (and the current economy) say that I might be wrong.
    upload_2023-10-9_7-57-26.png

If I were going to take this thing home I would do all the things.
    Caarfax.
    Maintenance records.
    Thorough inspection from a reliable mechanic.

It might be a good deal, if the new owner can leverage some knowledge and time to transform a $2000 repair into a parts and DIY thing but the owner has it priced way too high for it to be a great deal - otherwise it would have been sold before I could finish this post!

Good Luck!!!

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nah next week I'll buy another one for 700 bucks with a leather interior and very nice condition I don't care what miles are on it It makes no difference to me The more the better that means somebody's been keeping the car on the road to get it to where it is right now 68k and 15 years old there could be huge gaps of the car just sitting which can be as bad or worse than being driven every day depending upon the driver conditions etc. Matter of fact I've got to go look at two today or tomorrow I think they both have paperwork.

9. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are buying gen 2s for under a grand you have a moneymaking situation. In my area, phila and a 100 mile radius, I rarely find one under 2 grand. Two years ago I sold one without a cat for 2000. So kudos to you, but those numbers are not typical.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base