1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prii can NOT be 'keyed alike'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bruceha_2000, May 19, 2006.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just picked up my wife's Barcelona #7 today. I called the Prius tech yesterday to see if it was possible to reprogram one of the cars such that all 4 fobs would work in either car. There had been discussions here some time back suggesting that it could be possible. He checked with the technical people in California and found the answer is No. :( Related to the engine immobilization. We have to mark one pair of fobs so we can tell which goes to each car!

So much for simplifying our lives. I've gone so far as removing the split ring on the key in my fob :) My house key and the key to her old car were the ONLY things on my Prius keyring. It lives in the console tray of my Prius if I have driven somewhere and on bathroom sink when I'm home. I was hoping to be able to move the cars in the driveway or have one person head out to the car in a parking lot without having to get the fob from the driver or carry 2 fobs around.

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ May 19 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]258181[/snapback]</div>
    This just does not seem right. In other cars that use imobilizer's that I am aware of, it it the car that learns to recognize the key, not the other way around. I know of people with Fords, Audi's and Cadillacs that have all programmed multiple cars to one key. With those cars, that lets them into the car with the remote. The have to pay some multiple hundreds of $$ to have the key cylinder replaced so the ignition works with the mechanical key.

With the Prius, it --should-- be even easier. The only problem would be if the batteries die in the remote, your emergency key would not let you in. However, you can get a plastic wallet key cut for the car your key doesn't fit and carry that.

I cannot believe that Toyota would have a keylock system that has a key recognize the car. It's possible, but seems dumb.

- Tom

3. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ May 19 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]258181[/snapback]</div>
    The reason it can't is because the new Barcelona #7 is a 2006 Prius, and the other Prius is a 2004.

With thanks to mrv from a post on "the other Prius forum:"
    According to Tom S. ( http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-2G/message/50912 )
    the older fobs' part number which ends in 47060 will not program to a 2006 (which uses newer fobs with part number ending in 47061)

So you can program them if both were 2006 Prius, or if both were earlier models using the older fob.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ May 19 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]258445[/snapback]</div>
    Where is this part number? I checked both fobs (inside the cover, did not take off the battery cover. Every letter/number is exactly the same on both.
    From the referenced post - sounds almost as if you could program a 2006 fob to work with a 2004 Prius. If that is true, I should be able to buy 2 '06 fobs and get what I want???