1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prii in Canada?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pam, May 16, 2007.

1. pam

pam New Member

Hi there! I'm 22 and looking to purchase my first car. Was initially considering a Mazda 3 or a Nissan Sentra but stumbled across the Prius and pretty much fell in love with the mileage and general "wow" factor of the car. I think I'm almost sold (still need to test drive).

I have questions about buying a Prius in Canada. They're horrendously expensive here - $31k for the base model and dealers not budging on sticker prices - and I was thinking about buying in the states and just importing the car. With duties & taxes I would still come out ahead, and I would think it would be fairly easy to switch the odometer and such over to km instead of miles. Has anyone had any experience with purchasing an American Prius and importing it to Canada?

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 16 2007, 06:11 AM) [snapback]443231[/snapback]</div>
    Not me, but remember $31k Canadian is about $28k U.S. I suspect import duty would eat up a lot of your savings. You'd have to check that out.

Dave M.

3. pam

pam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 16 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]443299[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I'd need to do quite a lot of research before committing to doing this, but I figure if I buy a $23k (USD) Prius, then pay 6% duties and 14% taxes, I still come out at the MSRP for a base Prius here in Ontario before taxes and fees. If I can get one at invoice in the states I make out even better. We'll see :)

4. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 16 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]443231[/snapback]</div>
    It couldn't be any easier: there's a button you push to switch units. I used it on a recent trip to Canada.

Harry

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the speedo. You can't change the odo from km to miles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 16 2007, 06:11 AM) [snapback]443231[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Pam,

here's an Excel spreadsheet I picked up from another Canadian car forum. It helps you calculate the savings, taxes, so on and so forth. You just have to change a few numbers.

[attachmentid=8093]

The figures I have in there is actually for the Camry Hybrid (with nav in the US) vs. a Camry Hybrid Pkg "B" in Canada. Just note that the "final price" that you put in the Canadian bit at the top of the spreadsheet includes taxes. The US model is without tax. Hopefully, the spreadsheet is self-explanatory.

Attached Files:

6. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have Autotrader.com up there? I'm sure there are other nation-wide used car "facilitators", if not...

If the killer is the non-negotiable new car price, why not drop down to a low-mileage one- or two-year old one? If you're lucky, you may find one with most or all of the accessories you want.

Go Senators!

7. pam

pam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 16 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]443439[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, thanks! This is just what I need. Exchange rate is great right now so it looks like I would save about $4k by purchasing in the US.

But you say that you can't switch the odometer over to KM? :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ May 16 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]443559[/snapback]</div>
    I don't even know how to begin to find one. They seem like rare birds here in Canada. I've only ever seen two on the road.

And I'm a Habs fan ;) Darn those Sens!

8. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 17 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]444136[/snapback]</div>

How about warranty?

Let's say you did purchase one in the States. Would you be assured that your local dealerships would support the warranty as they would in a Canadian purchased model?

My dealer emphatically says no. :(

Cheers;

MSantos

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 17 2007, 07:44 AM) [snapback]444136[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Only the speedo can be changed from km/h to mph. Everything else is in imperial (temperature, mileage, fuel economy).

Also, you'll have to make sure to reset the MAIN'T REQ'D light (instructions in the owner's manual) after you service.

10. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I too would look for a good used on in Canada. I'm imagining myself with a odo in km and here in the states where everything is still in old fashioned imperial units, it would not be fun to have to do the math every time I'm trying to navigate by distance.

Plus buying a Canadian model you'll get the EV button. Worth it in my opinion.

Dave

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ May 17 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]444239[/snapback]</div>
    We don't get the EV button.

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Hi Pam, welcome to PriusChat! As a fellow Ontarian, I can relate to your situation as I bought my Prius last year...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 17 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]444136[/snapback]</div>
    Don't overlook the tax credits! The Conservatives recently introduced a tax credit for fuel efficent vehicles that will net you $2K back in federal taxes when you buy a Prius. This is on top of the existing $2K provincial credit, meaning you will get a total of $4K back within about 10 weeks of purchase! :) Don't forget these Canadian tax credits apply to resale cars too!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 17 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]444136[/snapback]</div>
    This is true, though that only changes the speedometer. The odometer and temperature readings will remain in miles and fahrenheit.

They are still fairly rare, but any Toyota dealer should be able to get you one. Shop around a bit and you should be able to find one for a bit below MSRP with some negotiating. I lucked out and found a loaded demo car (6K KM) in my exact configuration for almost C$3K off. :)

As Tideland mentioned, we do NOT get the EV button in Canada. Only other areas of the world are so fortunate. <_<

Finally, keep in mind that when importing a car, you will be on the hook for taxes and duties, plus you will need to add Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) to your car, if you do everything on the up and up. ;) This will cost some decent money, then there is the warranty question.

Bottom line, I would think long and hard before importing a car to possibly save a couple thousand... the government has a knack for finding a way to collect this money anyway. :(

As a native Montrealer, I couldn't agree more. Even though I have lived in Toronto for 6 years now, I refuse to root for the Leafs. :lol:

Hope you get your Prius however you choose to do so. A wonderful car it is, you won't regret it!

13. pam

pam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ May 17 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]444265[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! Are you serious? I did a little research - and tell me if I'm right, here. The fed rebate is a rebate, and will get me $2k cash - the provincial one is up to $2k tax credit. Is that correct? That's a powerful incentive to buy in Canada, along with the warranty issue mentioned by another poster and the readings staying in Imperial measure.

I'm jealous :) I guess I'll start emailing dealers.

What is the EV button?

I'm a Habs fan, my boyfriend is a Leafs fan, and we're living in Sens territory :( It's a very sad situation and I fully empathise with your plight! ;)

Thanks so much for all the helpful information. I think I'll be buying a Prius within a month or so (I, embarassingly, need to pass my G2 test first). I really can't think of any more reasons against it!

14. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 17 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]444296[/snapback]</div>
    The provincial one is a rebate as well (at least it is in BC), and gets taken off at the time of sale.

15. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 17 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]444296[/snapback]</div>
    I bought my Prius last year before the federal rebate was introduced, but after the provincial rebate was bumped from $1K to $2K. For the provincial rebate, you just fill out the form and send your original bill of sale (with option to be returned to you) and they will cut you a cheque in about 8-10 weeks. B) I believe the federal one works in a similar way...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PamQ @ May 17 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]444296[/snapback]</div>
    For what it's worth, I bought mine at Don Valley North Toyota in Markham, ON (northeast corner of Toronto). They claim to be the oldest and largest Toyota dealer in Canada. Had a decent experience with them, though the rookie sales rep I bought from is no longer there. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call or email, you never know, it may be worth the 4-hour drive if they offer you a good deal!

EV = 'Electric Vehicle'. It's a button that allows the car to run on electricity alone for a short while. Other parts of the world get this button as a factory option except North America. Search for "EV mod" and you will see it is fairly easy to add to your car later on if you like, as I plan to do!

Heh heh... yeah, I work with some Leaf fans. As disappointed as I am that the Habs just missed the playoffs (at the hands of the Leafs... ouch), it was nice to see the Isles overcome the Devils and knock out the Leafs the next day. It must really hurt the Leaf fans that their two geographically closest rivals are now battling to go to the finals! ;) But I digress...

You are most welcome, and you definitely won't regret it! Good luck!

16. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to see someone asked about this; I also started thinking about importing a Prius to Canada because of the rather large price difference (plus the Americans seem to have better options packages, and the side airbags come standard). I found some decent tips from "Driving Television" you can watch them on the web:

http://drivingtelevision.com/searchbysegments.php?segID=4

Since they're a TV show, the information is presented quite briefly, but it did give a few good links and topics to start looking into. For one, they did mention that Toyota Canada does honour the warranty of cars bought in the US -- but that US dealers are forbidden from selling to Canadians (though a later segment highlights one lady who did find a Nissan dealer willing to sell, so there may be Toyota dealers out there willing to take the risk for a sale). Even without the Canadian tax rebates, it looks like I could still save a thousand dollars or so, and get leather seats to boot!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ May 17 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]444371[/snapback]</div>
    Coincidentally, I was in Toronto last weekend with a few hours to kill and stopped by Don Valley North Toyota. They were insanely busy with some sort of free BBQ promotion... they only had one hybrid on the lot, a used 2004 prius that they wouldn't let me drive (not too surprising, esp. since I was up front about not being ready to buy until the fall or hopefully next year if my old car can survive another winter).

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you want leather, check out katzkin. You can get exactly the kind of leather you want from them, for less than car manufacturers charge.

I was tempted to buy in the US, but it's a lot of work and hassle.

It costs about $500 to add DRLs. I'm not sure if using the "running lights" would be acceptable if the US car you got had HIDs.

You can ask the guys at Canadian Tire, as they have the fed. contract to ensure all required changes are made. You pay them $150 to do the inspection.

Overall, you can save $4000 to $6000 by importing a US Prius to Canada.

You pay 6.9% duty, and of course, 6% GST. Then your provincial tax.

You have to arrange in advance with both sides of the border, and show up with three copies of the sales agreement for the US side. The Canadian side is happy once you pay them the duty and GST. Then you have a limited time to get the car brought up to Canadian standards (add DRLs), and get it inspected. You mail that form to the feds, and take a copy to your provincial registry and register the car in Canada so you can get your licence plate.

I decided that with the Toyota Financial (Canada) car loan rate at 3.9% and the $2000 fed. rebate I could probably do almost as well just getting the car here. No provincial rebate in Alberta, but no provincial tax so it sort of evens out. Maybe they will tax fuel efficient cars here. ;)

YMMV.

18. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i imported my Prius into Canada a couple weeks ago (really enjoying it).
    the hardest part would be finding a US dealer willing to sell new to Canadians I think.
    Next is getting to the border by 3:30pm (when the US export office closes - depends on the one you go to i guess) :p

Re: DRLs - lots of threads on this already (i created two with poor responses :p )
    Here's a rundown though:

HIDs = hard/impossible to drl BUT you can just get turn signal drls, which i hear can pass
    Halogens =
    a: the Canadian dealers know how to add a relay to get your lights to stay on 100% when the car is on - not the nicest solution, but will pass the RIV inspection
    b: add a drl module which will run drl @~76%: the best solution - but impossible finding a dealer who knows much about this

I wanted b: but got a: cause the service guy at the dealer i went to is an idiot.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wait wait wait, David you actually (and finally) bought one? Congrats! Traded the Pathfinder?

20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 18 2007, 12:27 AM) [snapback]444696[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the anti-Prius was traded for the Prius. :rolleyes:

I'm just about finished removing the amateur radio equipment from the Pathfinder, and perhaps the vehicle delivery/exchange will occur on Saturday. I posted the story on Priusonline but will probably put it up here as well.

I'm going to miss my close relationship with the gas station attendant. ;)