1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prii origin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Baalphire, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Baalphire

Baalphire New Member

So i was looking at my invoice sticker that the dealership thoughtfully left in my glove compartment and i noticed that the port/plant of origin was newark NJ are the prii built there or are they built in japan?
    I know that any VW you buy gives you exactly the ratio of foreign parts and exactly where that ratio comes from but i could not find it. Any Ideas?

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All priuses are so far only built in Japan. I think there is a china plant coming online but it will only supply cars to china.

I guess NJ was the port of entry (think it was the same for me).

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jan 30 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]382981[/snapback]</div>
    For a car assembled in a foreign country the port of entry (Newark) is listed. I didn't see any content listed on the sticker. I thought it was a mandatory declaration.

4. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baalphire @ Jan 30 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]382972[/snapback]</div>
    You've already got your answer, but if in doubt look at the first character in the VIN. J is Japan, 1 is USA, 2 is Canada (I think ...).

Mine came in via Jacksonville, FL.

5. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Fiona" arrived through Portland, OR - not sure how she traveled the next 2000 miles to Wisconsin (via train?)
    I was told that all Prii are built in Japan.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Jan 30 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]383125[/snapback]</div>
    Correct J=Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number has a table of the correspondence of first letter vs. country.

I've taken a tour of a Toyota plant in Japan where the Prius along w/a bunch of other Toyotas are built. I'm 90% sure it was the Tsutsumi plant.