1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Primary reason for buying a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tessar, Nov 22, 2005.

?
  1. Low total cost of ownership: depreciation, finance, insurance, maintenance, repair, fuel costs, stat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Environment: high mileage, low emissions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Government incentives: tax deductions or credits, carpool lane access

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sociology: trendy, Hollywood wannabe, eco-enlightened, impresses my neighbors and co-workers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Technology: Electrical and mechanical gizmos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Safety: Love them airbags, less likely to flip than an SUV or van

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Drivability: Acceleration, handling, stability at high speed, quiet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Utility: Space for families, hatchback design

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Compromise: My spouse and I wanted different cars so we settle on Prius

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most people bought or ordered a Prius for a combination of reasons. The purchase decision may have been easy or hard. One reason stands out as the clincher, closer, or decision maker when you lined up the candidates and choose Prius. What made you do it?

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: I never did like mutiple-choice quizzes. Reminds me ot those "personality profile" things, or "aptitude tests." None of the choices fits exactly, and they ask the same questions phrased differently.

1: Technology; 2: Environment; 3: Fuel economy; 4: Gizmos.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pretty much all of the above except the wife thing. She has her own car.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'll go with those. When I first saw one in 2004, I was very impressed with the technology of the car, but I never thought I'd own one. Then my nearly 15-year-old car failed smog (for the first time) and I started to think about getting a new car and one that was better for the environment. I remembered the Prius and the rest is history. :)

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1.) Environment
    2.) Oil Dependency

Technology wasn't part of it for me. I tend to have a deep suspicion of gizmos on cars. That stuff tends to break and it's annoying when it does. That's probably the one reservation I have about the Prius. It seems to be a pretty complex car and I wonder how it will age. Since it's a Toyota and they have built an excellent reputation for quality I figured I'd put that fear aside and dive in. Definitely glad that I did.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I put "environment" as my voting choice.

My decision really was a tossup between environment, fuel economy, technology, and utility. To me, they're all equally important...and huge plusses come in the form of the numerous safety features and government incentives. And the pleasure of being able to drive such a noteworthy car. B)

7. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My #1 item reason for the Prius was gas savings. I needed a vehicle with better fuel savings. I drive 30k miles annually and had a Jeep previously getting 16mpg.

Factors that led me to the Prius

1. 50-60mpg (I based my decision expecting 45mpg - I'm getting 50)
    2. Cost - At just over $27k, it had more features, extra's and luxuries than my previous Jeep which I paid about $27k for too
    3. Hatchback - Giving up the Jeep meant giving up the space - I give up much less with the Prius
    4. It's a Toyota. Every time a I had a big repair with one of my 3 previous Jeeps, my wife would always tout Toyota. I was pretty much decided on a Toyota. Which one was the question. Although I did contemplate the HCH.
    5. All the extras - really a bonus since I would have gotten it without, but the NAV was a big plus!

8. hockeybrat

hockeybrat Member

I chose "environment". I also wanted a slightly smaller car compared to my Camry.

When the Prius came out, they were just the "funny looking cars" to me. Now I am love with those cars! :)

ETA: I also wanted a reliable and safe car without having to buy European.

9. QED

QED New Member

I wanted "economy", and I could a buy a significantly cheaper car, that gets relatively good gas mileage and the hit on the pocketbook would be similar to a Prius.

But I am buying a Prius and I voted "Technology". It just makes sense to build a car that is able to turn itself off while sitting in traffic or at a stop light (at least most of the time). Anyway, that tips the scale.

The Prius is just the start. All future cars will be much smarter. And they are already smarter than us :p

10. galaxies1973

galaxies1973 New Member

Voted for "environment" since that's the single biggest reason for Prius vs. all other cars. But "utility" is what set it apart from the Civic Hybrid... we started out thinking we'd go with the Civic since I've done well with my 2000 coupe and since its availability was better, but the non-folding down seats and general lesser cargo space was big in making us go for Prius instead. Technology wasn't really a factor, though we do intend to enjoy it. :)

Of course, all this is subject to change since we don't actually HAVE a Prius yet!

Michelle

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It seems we are about evenly divided between Greenies and Geeks :)

12. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had always been a believer in buying used cars, to beat the off the lot depreciation. Heard a news blip about the Prius shortage causing the depreciation to be non existant. In addition my primary vehicle was a Ford Exhibition requiring a tank of gas a week (26 gal x $$$$). Seemed like a good idea at the time and has turned out to be one of my life's better decisions. I truely love my Prius (so does my wife)!

13. QED

QED New Member

Technology was #1 and environment was #2 for me.

Does that make me a "Greek" or a "Geenie"?

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I voted "other" to avoid skewing the results, but actally, for me it was equally environment, utility, safety, and gadgets. I wanted a car with ABS and air bags, but did not want to give up the utility of my Civic station wagon. At the same time, I wanted a car that would conserve gas (for environmental, not economic reasons) and I loved the geek factor of a car that has no clutch or tranny, can run on electric alone at slow speeds, etc.

I was holding off trading off my Civic because nothing else on the road appealed to me. When I read my first review of the '04 Prius, everything about it just jumped out at me.

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It was better than any of the Civics.

16. Brian K

Brian K New Member

None of the above.

I hate this type of poll. The set never fits me and I won't conform myself to fit a given set just to "fit in".

Since the '70s I've been saying,"If someone would come out with a vehicle worth driving, I'd buy it.". Meaning environmental, mileage, techie, sophistication, comfort. Well, it arrived in the liftback Prius.

I put our $ where my mouth has been for years. FWIW, we haven't regretted it a bit. OK, so it's the wife primary transportation, I drive it on weekends and when We've planned major miles.

Impatiently waiting for the '08 version.... So that I can drive the '05 full time. :D

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So the money you spent on gas now goes into a college fund for the kids right? :p

18. Stevep

Stevep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I agree with all of the above except #4. Im have never had a lot of trouble with any of my vehicles. Guess it was good maintence, whish I usually did nyself.

19. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked technology. I'm not an environmentalist by any means, mostly because the obvious environmental groups are so very radical and unrealistic about the goals they continue to pursue.

I can honestly say that in years of following vehicle technology there hasn't been any new development as significant as THS/HSD. I've heard it said that there are no inventors anymore, just engineers. Which is partly true. The average car today is really nothing more than the produt of continuing engineering of the original concept. But HSD is different, very different, and very new. Not just engineering or an old concept to make incremental improvement, but a totaly new way to think of motive power and a totally new design of what vehicle motive power should be.

20. Liam

Liam New Member

Other - Oil dependency

I would rather give money to the Japanese than the Arabs.