1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime 12V battery dies after 10 mins running accessories in cold

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Mattdog, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Mattdog

Mattdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems to me there should have been a fail safe built in or I'm an idiot.

Starting the 2021 car in cold weather and it always defaults to EV mode. Heater fan is running and maybe the seat heaters too. I go outside to shovel a bit of snow. 7 to 10 minutes later 12V battery is dead and the car won't start. Solved by boosting the battery. When covered in a tiny bit of ice the hood will not open at all, so must De ice the hood with warm water - another surprising issue altogether but a serious issue if you were ever stuck in a remote spot.

Solution seems to be do not idle this car in EV mode in Canadian winter. Make sure EV mode is off. I forget this at the start of each winter.

But for such a great 2021 car I would have thought Toyota engineers would have built in a safety for this. Why not have the engine start in cold weather idling, EV battery run as backup or shut off the car entirely?

Let me know your thoughts please

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not an expert on the Prime, but I don't see how the 12V will go flat with the car in READY. Perhaps there is a timeout that will turn the car OFF after prolonged inactivity.

3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perhaps an issue with the DC to DC converter or associated ECU which is what charges the 12v battery. As far as the hood not opening I thought that was a mechanical thing and not dependent on any electric power. I never looked but I assumed a mechanical cable ran from the unlock switch handle to the hood lock. Perhaps the cable has moisture in it and needs some lubrication or other servicing?

GSK likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Assume you’re parking outside? Is there a garage you could declutter, get the car into shelter? Or if you’re in a driveway, would one of those tarp carports be feasible? At the least, cardboard cover on the windshield might help. And do as much windshield clearing before starting the car.

Be careful with warm water poured on the car, may stress the paint. Maybe a hair drier, if a cord will reach.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are in READY in the EV mode it should not drain the 12v battery. But if you did this in ACC mode (without pressing the brake) then 10 min is long enough to drain the 12v battery.

Yeah, as others said, if this is happening in the READY mode, then there must be something not working correctly.

I never had to open the hood when it is ice covered, but that problem would not be PP specific. Can happen to any car. Just a few days ago, I couldn't open the charge port of my Escape PHEV when it was covered by ice.

#5 Salamander_King, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2nd what @Salamander_King said. Maybe you hit the start button without hitting the brake or a fraction of a second after hitting the start button. I've done this before, but the battery isn't very big so it'll drain quite rapidly. You may have developed a soft short in one of the cells too like I did. They can only determine this if the battery is already dead. If you drive to the dealer, it'll charge the battery enough to pass their tests. What I did is leave the lights in auto mode and when you get to the dealer let lights turn off by themselves, usually after 30 seconds. From what you describe you may also have a shorted cell. Whatever it is still under warrantee.

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Repeatedly fully discharging the lead acid battery then recharging it will shorten the battery life.

Spray some silicone spray on the rubber parts on the hood-to-body area to keep them from freezing together. If you have a sheet of ice on the hood, that's a problem.

8. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2022 Prime and I am in extreme cold winters. Never had your issues.

As a 2021, you are still under warranty. Take it in to the dealer for resolution.

iPhone ?

9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Should probably adjust your morning routine to turning-on the front windscreen defroster. This should automatically start your ICE.

1. if the ICE doesn't start, you know your not in ready mode and that your draining your battery.
    2. it's going to burn some gas, but your cabin will be nice and toasty, when your ready to leave.

Hope this helps.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Phone battery must have died too

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As some others said, you left the car in the ACC mode, not in the READY mode. The 12-V battery will drain unless the car is in the READY mode.

The 12-V battery will charge both in the EV mode and HV mode as long as the car is in the READY mode. In fact, it probably charges slightly better in the EV mode.

#11 Gokhan, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Note that there are three ignition positions:
    • Accessory mode
    • Ignition ON
    • READY
    The first two are displayed in the left of the MFD screen, and the READY indicator is toward the right. If you don't press the brake fully, the car typically goes to the Ignition-ON mode.

The 12-V battery only charges in the READY mode, and it does so both in the EV and HV modes. My best guess is that the car was left in the Ignition-ON mode.