1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime feels SCARY at 50mph with "big" load of heavy groceries.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by The Big Sleaze, Sep 25, 2020.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I'm guessing it was about 250-300lbs mostly in back but about 33% in rear seat. Car felt like front tires were about to come off road and any quick maneuvers might cause loss of control. I'm not known as a nervous driver and regularly do 100+ in variety of vehicles not known for stellar handling, but this was scary and very glad it was only short trip home on flat highway.

Do I need driving lessons for these new fangled cars?

Is inability to haul weight in back just one of the tradeoffs?

Any mods to enable a Prime to safely and comfortably carry weight in the back?

It sure put this idea on hold. Pickup or "van" from rear-ended salvaged Prime? | PriusChat

2. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What's your tire pressure, and what kind of tires do you have?

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never drove on highway, but I regularly put upto ~300lbs (either 6 bags of 50lb chicken feeds, or 8 bags of 40lb rock salt or in some combinations of other heavy items) on the back of my PRIME and never felt any instability on rural roads going up to 60mph.

#3 Salamander_King, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have carried that much weight... packed the car solid with grass/topsoil removed for our sunroom. I remember that drive to the compost, since I was racing just ahead of a thunderstorm. Finished unloading 10 minutes before the downpour.

Since that trip (12 miles each way on curvy & hilly suburb roads) was no big deal, I would take a close look at your tires.

jerrymildred, mr88cet and Tips like this.
  5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I personally have never perceived any such concerns in this usage of our Prius Prime.

6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like he was driving 105mph In 120 degree weather with an almost flat tire <32 (or 2) On ridged cement with cross winds, his experience would occur in any normal car or truck.

If he is in the business of trying to get his license revoked driving 105mph on public roads he should consider aligning the front end with more toe And get sport tires.

Mark57, Pulse07, Mendel Leisk and 2 others like this.
  7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exactly! A tire's load rating increases with cold tire pressure, and max load only occurs at max cold pressure, usually 44 psi for these tires. Check your sidewall for the load statement. It should be something like this, "Max Load x,xxx lbs at xx psi"

8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. I have certainly not driven large loads under those sorts of extremes, but I expect it would do as well as any other similar vehicle.

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As has been said, check your tire pressure. I have had no trouble with two adults in the back seat and their luggage in the cargo area plus the wife in front with me. Car drove like normal.

This was our load last year for a 6,000+ mile trip. There was a spare tire buried in the back, too. Must have been way over 300 pounds. Car drove like it was on a rail. I keep my tires at 42 front and 40 rear.

IMG_0390.jpg IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0394.jpg

10. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The load capacity at the recommended pressure (35/36 psi) is adequate. No need to increase it if you're loading the car within the payload limit (which is on a sticker in the door jamb. I think it's something like 675 lbs for the passengers and cargo combined, at least for my 4 seater Prime). But increasing it could improve handling or efficiency, depending on the tires.

I asked about what kind of tires, because I just had new snow tires (Michelin X-Ice "Snow") put on, and it feels like the sidewalls are made of Jell-O. Not confidence inspiring, but they do have good traction. I'm going to experiment with higher pressure once they are broken in and the weather is a little colder.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmmm...My Michelin X-Ice Xi3 handle fine and feel fine. No jello sidewalls. I use the inflation pressures shown on the door jam placard.

12. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    tires are factory with less than 14K and recent rotations at dealer, etc.
    I felt about the same way as my Toyota mini-truck short bed felt when I carried 10 16ft 4x6 posts hanging 10ft out the rear.

didn't feel bad in my neighborhood's big sloopy hills, just felt like it would be twitchy and I'd be a "solo spinout" and/or spinNroll on the freeway at 65mph.

Always had to agree with reviewers who say the extra 300lb batt really hurts the handling, but thinking back none of them seemed like expert drivers, just "product review" guys.

Maybe when I get going to a Maintenance Meetup in a couple months someone can take me for quick ride.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Granted my only experience with hauling heavier loads was in a gen2, in which I had installed a slightly larger 'solid core' rear sway bar.

Once was with (13) five gallon pails of paint, and the other time with (8) five gallon pails of paint and 3 adults, including some larger sized pieces of airport luggage. Pretty sure in both instances the loaded capacity exceeded 1000 lbs, and though I never tried to hit 100+ in either of the over 5 hrs of travel time, there were numerous slow and tighter corners along the 101 corridor where the vehicle didn't really handle all that differently from a normal unloaded gen2. Tire inflation was generally kept around 44 psi front and rear, give or take.
    Had a female 'race' driver at the Toyota World Record event in Alameda take me for a "ride" in a gen4, and was quite impressed :eek:

14. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, Mr. Sleaze, three people have asked you what your tire pressure is and you have chosen not to reply. Just because the dealer has rotated your tires you cannot assume that they checked that they were at the correct pressure.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Recent tire rotation, are the lug nuts tight?

+1 on tire pressure.

E-GINO, Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.