1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime may start ICE in EV mode if Windshield Defogger switched on

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by GT4Prius, Nov 6, 2016.

1. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Just found this in User Manual. Note the unhelpful use of the word "may". Any thoughts?

■Gasoline engine operation in EV/EV auto mode
    Even if there is a sufficient amount of electricity remaining in the hybrid bat-
    tery (traction battery) and EV driving range (→P. 199, 215, 222, 239) is being
    displayed on the multi-information display etc., EV driving (driving using only
    the electric motor) may be canceled and both gasoline engine and electric
    motor are used depending on the situation (EV driving will be returned to
    automatically after EV driving becomes possible again).
    EV driving may be canceled automatically in the following circumstances:
    ●When vehicle speed is more than approximately 84 mph (135 km/h).
    ●When power is needed temporarily, for example when the accelerator pedal
    is depressed firmly or when accelerating suddenly.*
    ●When the temperature of the hybrid system is high.
    The vehicle has been left in the sun, driven on a hill, driven at high speeds,
    etc.
    ●When the temperature of the hybrid system is low.
    ●When the heater is switched on when the outside temperature is below
    about 14°F (-10°C).
    ●When the windshield defogger switch is pressed. (→P. 491, 501)
    ●When the system determines that the gasoline engine needs to be started.
    The gasoline engine may also operate in circumstances other than those
    listed above, depending on conditions.
    *: When traveling in the EV auto mode only

Also found this which implies that Remote Aircon defogging may not work very well. Why should the power be restricted? Is it running solely from the 12v battery? It donning explain.

■Windshield defogger
    When defogging the windshield using the Remote Air Conditioning System,
    defogging may be insufficient due to the power being restricted more than
    during normal air conditioning operation. Also, the outside of the windshield
    may fog up due to the outside temperature, humidity or air conditioning set temperature.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

williamhway likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds about right. I didn't own a PiP but turning on the defroster in the Gen 2 or 3 will most likely kick you out of EV operation since it's typically cooler weather when you need the defroster. I suppose it depends on your set cabin temperature. If you turn on the defroster in manual mode with a cool set temperature and low fan speed, it might be ok. If you turn on the defroster in AUTO mode, it'll go to full fan speed.

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    GT4Prius - I read the same thing and was also concerned because I plan to purchase a Prime.

I reread Danny's report from Japan and then I noticed that the Owner's Manual is written as a warning of what might happen not a guide to what WILL happen. Note the * at the end of the line after the word "suddenly". That connects to the phrase "When traveling in EV auto only". If you read carefully, the warning is not so bad.

As for the last paragraph regarding the window defrosting using the Remote Air Conditioning System, that seems to be referring to using the new heat pump not the window defroster which WILL turn on the ICE. It is saying that in some situations the heat pump might not work as well as we would like. I will be using the heat pump as much as possible and hopefully that will be often.

Calling the heat pump a "Remote Air Conditioning System" seems strangely accurate and a bit odd. It is basically running the air conditioning system backwards. When the heat pump is delivering warm air, the heat exchanger by the radiator gets cold (and can freeze) instead of getting hot as it would with cooling the car. What is accurate about both operating modes is that they are conditioning the air.

4. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's referring to remote control of the AC system through Safety Connect.

And, power may well be limited due to the charger not having enough power to run the heating system.

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Think about how a window defroster works in a conventional car or in a regular Prius.

It pumps heat from the ICE coolant through the air conditioner evaporator coil with the AC running to dehumidify that air. That means the heat and the air conditioning are on at the same time.

If the heat comes from a heat pump instead of the ICE, and the AC comes from that same heat pump running the other way, how are you going to do both functions at the same time?

I can see two options - use resistive heat and run the heat pump for AC. I don't see any indication the Prime has a resistive heater.

Or you can cycle between the two - a little bit of time on heat, a little bit of time on AC. That would have reduced effectiveness (reduced "power").

When driving, it starts the ICE so it can get heat from that source while running the heat pump as AC. But they don't do that when plugged in.

Trollbait, ttait and giora like this.
  6. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    The asterisk and the "EV Auto Mode only" comment just refers to starting the ICE under heavy acceleration.

Yes the previous Gen cars keep the ICE running or start it to run the heater, demist etc, but the whole point of the Prime is to be able to run in pure EV mode, without the ICE running at all.

If we "may" not ( in circumstances not explained) be able have the demister on with the ICE staying off, the car is compromised in EV mode isn't it, and we are back to a PiP style experience aren't we?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not if it's only remote a/c as bhtooefr suggested.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would you want heat and a/c at the same time?

9. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    More dehumidification capability. Use AC to remove water from the air, then heat the air back up to reduce humidity further.

Lee Jay likes this.
  10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Because dry air (AC removes moisture) will defrost way faster than wet air. So, you want dry, hot air for defrost purposes when there's fog on the inside of the windshield.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't sound like a big deal to me. just hit floor/defrost on the vent direction button. you'll have heat, defrosting, and stay in ev. i do that know, but there's no heat. and leave the derost switch off whether driving or preconditioning.

giora likes this.
  12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That will work as long as the air in the car isn't full of moisture. Since exhaling pumps moisture into the air, just having people in the car will result in a very high moisture content of the air in the car.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but typically that is just needed at the start of the trip. If you have the climate control running (with the A/C compressor in AUTO mode), then you shouldn't need the demister at any other time.

In theory, if you use the pre-climate function, it should help reduce the need to demist the windshield. (It'll run for 10 mins prior to departure if you set the charging schedule with "pre-climate" turned ON.

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, boy, is that not true.

I keep my car in an insulated garage. I never need it at the beginning, and I always have it on auto. Yet, it's incredibly common for me to turn on the window defoggers during my trip to work. Dozens of times a year, I'd say.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've lived in both a humid (coastal) and dry (midwest-type) climate. As long as my automatic climate control has the A/C light on, I don't need to defog, especially enroute. Both Gen 2, 3, Gen 5 Camry have been parked inside an insulated garage (but no heater) and outside.

Stop breathing so hard onto the windshield :p.

16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It happens whenever it's cold. The windows cool down while driving until the moisture in the air inside the car starts to condense on the inside of the windows. Only if it's both cold and very, very dry does it NOT happen. And live in one of the driest climates around (Colorado) and it happens here frequently.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I'm aware. Again, if I turn off my A/C, my windows will fog up easily in the humid climate in the winter (or any time from now til March when it's actually cool enough).

Yes I'm aware. Denver was the only place I actually had to use chap stick cause it was so bloody dry (pun intended).

18. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Better compromising EV than compromising safety.
    When switching front window defogger I want defogging and quick which means, as others pointed out, cooling and heating the incoming air. This is the best way to defog quickly.

GT4Prius and Lee Jay like this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or if there is still snow on your shoes.

These are the hybrids without plug. All the heat from the cabin comes from the engine, which leaves the A/C compressor available for drying the air, and the system likely did so to prevent fogging of the windows. To put another way, you had the system blowing warm, dry air, just not on the windshield.

You also may have been able to get better fuel economy with the A/C light off.:p

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The A/C compressor is powered by the HV battery in earlier Prius.

(this is the Gen2, the A/C inverter is discussed at 14:10)

My guess is that Toyota sized the charger to be near the limit of battery charging. With no other loads it would work with no slow down. If you add other loads, (and A/C is a large load on it's own) either the battery charging will slow, the loads will have reduced power, or both. Toyota is promising a charge time, so I bet they resist over promising and instead limit power to other loads. Just a guess. (Then 'May' would mean that defogging is fine after the battery is fully charged but impaired if the battery is still using power from the charger)