1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime trunk underfloor

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Maxwell61, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A good view of the floor under the trunk of the Prime at 7,45 min.

It seems it's just the charger on the left side must be protected (and the orange cable) to create some additional space.

2 generations of Auris-Corolla (EU) with the adjustable 2-level rigid floor and then this...

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They so could fit a spare in there. :(

Compositions likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Talk about cost cutting

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Why all the hype about spare tires in a car that's not designed for off road or rough road conditions? In 50 years of driving 15 different cars up to 6 hours a daily I only needed a spare once when it was not due to neglect. Then I could not get the bad tire off the car to put the spare on. The tire monkeys had over torqued the nuts/bolts when they rotated the tires. The tow truck driver mounted the spare. By the time I got to the dealer the next day I needed a new tire AND a new spare. A donut spare lifetime is only rated for 50 miles at 50 mph and it's expensive.

Now I just buy good tires matched to the car and it's use and back it up with AAA and/or roadside service. 50 years, around half a million miles driven and only needed a spare once? I'm not going to worry about driving around with a spare that I will probably never use.

mountaineer and David Mk.2 like this.
  5. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    With a little jigsawing you can create space in the foam for more storage. The flooring thing looks flimsy though. Might want something more rigid if you do that

Maxwell61 likes this.
  6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I guess it depends on where you live. I would get 2 nails a year in tires pretty much every year for 7 years. New home construction brings in contractors who are tired from building houses all day and nails fall out of trucks all the time. I can see both sides of the need vs want. Off road I always have a full size spare but it is easy to carry in my Truck. I have Full size spare rim and tire at the house for when e get a nail. Wife actually picked up one last week. LOL

bisco and Compositions like this.
  7. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought first the same thing, to jigsaw the foam levelling it at a lower level. Have to see in person, perhaps a brand new rigid floor with some support and a cover for the charger will save more space.
    It does remains the problem to create also a 2nd remouvable surface to be flush with the reclined seats. A system that is standard in my Auris...

#7 Maxwell61, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  8. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm realizing the room taken by the foam it's HUGE.
    Look at the height comparison at the 12V battery and at the level of the eyelet for the net.

img1.png img2.png