1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Windshield Cover?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Phildgreat, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Has anyone purchased one? If so, which brand in particular? How's the fit and doesn't it help with heat prevention?

I plan to get tinted windows all around with exception of the front windshield where the shade will be placed.

Thanks!

dalcon95 likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using the HeatShield from the PriusChat Shop for both Gen 2 and Gen 3 (as well as my smart fortwo but I had to buy that elsewhere).

WilDavis likes this.
  3. wtbprime

wtbprime New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    was wondering the same thing! where are you getting your tinting done? (maybe we can get a deal together!)

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  5. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thinking of getting the optic ceramic tiny as mentioned by another forum member here. He got it done at fresh tint. I'm going to call for a quote in a the next day or too so I'll let you know!

Do you need the visors to hold it down?

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, but it makes it a little easier if you use them.

7. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Sounds good. I bought an extended mirror so it alittle bit of a pain to extend the visors all the way forward, ha.

8. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just picked my Prime yesterday and have the same question. Thinking about getting the heatshield. Read a lot of complaints about how hard it is too roll up. But since its a smaller size maybe its not as bad. If it reduces the temperature inside the car maybe worth the hassle.
    So tinting the side and back windows also reduces heat?

9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not know about the Prime, but whenI bought my used 2009 Gen II 3 years ago, one of the first accessories I bought (from Ye Olde Prius Shoppe) was the Sunshield for the front windshield and it was so good that I also got the matching one for the rear. I'm just starting to use them both for their third year, and they're as good now as they were 3 years ago!!!

10. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  11. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    @Jnbrown - Tinting sides and especially rear windows will help a lot on reducing the heat transmitted through the windows. That being said, the type of tint you install will also make a significant difference. The new ceramic tints (I have Huper-Optik Autobahn tints) reduce a lot of the incoming heat to the vehicle interior. Unfortunately, the new ceramic tints are way more expensive also. I'm used to paying about $250 for a regular tint job. Add in ceramic tints and you'll pay at least double.

Does it make a difference in heat? I've only turned on my A/C twice in the past month since I've taken possession of my Prime. Both times to test the settings out (still can't figure out how to get a temperature "set" number to show up on the LCD screen and not just the dash readout). After leaving the Prime out all day on the roof of my parking structure (unfortunately that is where the free chargers are), the interior is probably about 85-90 degrees or so. With my Camry with regular tints - it will be in the high 90's to low 100's for sure. (one thing to note: I have the windshield tinted on the PP which makes a very big difference - and no, I do not use a sun shade anymore).

Is it worth the additional $$$ ? That's up to you :)

dalcon95 likes this.
  12. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I opted for the same ceramic tints pdog went with and a set of $13 windshield shades on amazon. I should be able to test the figment of the shades in the next couple of days and the tint towards the end of the week. Will let you know how they work as soon as I can!

Prius from Dad likes this.
  13. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I got some estimates to tint the side and rear hatch windows and its around $500. I asked for 3M Crystalline but most places say its double that price and recommend using using Llumar instead. Not sure I want to spend that much money. I also read some complaints about Llumar CTX that it causes reflections inside the car and some people had to remove it because of that. I am looking to get the Covercraft windshield shade, I like how it folds instead of rolling. They don't have one specifically for a prime but have the regular 2017 Prius, I assume it will be the same fit?

#13 Jnbrown, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  14. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I used Suntek CXP at 35% (which is above the legal limit in my state). Paid $260 for the sides and back.

#1 in Easley,SC

15. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just called and got an estimate of $330 to do ceramic on all windows except windshield. I'm guessing he hasn't done a Prime before, so the rear window may be a bit of a shock.

dalcon95 likes this.
  16. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I must live in a high cost area (SoCal) because the quotes I got where $470 for Llumar CTX and $420 for 3M Colorstable.
    I have decided not to do the tinting due to the cost and read a lot of complaints people have about it and concerned about how long it will last. If you have deep pockets then I think its Ok to try it. I am just going to get some Reflectix from Home Depot for $20 and make my own shades for the side and back windows.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm in agreement there, for a lot of reasons. First off, I suspect tinting does little to reduce interior temps, might even make them higher. Secondly: it's an aftermarket product, relatively fragile, and obvious when you look at the edges, that something's been tacked on. Just personal, but if I was ever buying used, I'd pass on anything with aftermarket tint. Third: visibility, especially peripheral and rear, is poor to begin with, why make things worse? My night vision is getting worse over the years, I NEED all the visibility I can get, lol.

tanner9868 likes this.
  18. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Phildgreat likes this.
  19. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I ordered the Covercraft shade off Ebay and received it yesterday. I am pretty happy with it. It fits the windshield well without being too tight and is easy to fold up and store on the floor in the back. It is pretty stiff so no worry about drooping.

20. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I tinted myself front windshield with 3m crystalline 90 and driver/passengers sides and back with crystalline 40. Feels cooler in temperature and looks than I was expecting.

Prius from Dad likes this.