1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Primewell Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jk823, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went in for an oil change today at 45K miles and was told my tires (the original ones on the car) finally needed replacing. The service guy (who I generally trust) suggested a brand called "Primewell" if I wanted to get tires that weren't TOO cheap but not too expensive either.

But I can't find anything online about other people using these tires. Anyone have experience with them?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of them. they are probably made by another mfg or are chinese? doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them, but it would be nice to see some reviews. price out some recommended here, the difference probably isn't that much. and make sure they are low rolling resistance, unless you don't care about a major hit to mpg's. my mechanic recommended mastercraft for our hycam and they were $120. each installed which is not that cheap.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The tyres on the Prius need to be "low rolling resistance LRR" tyres if not you could easily loose 7 or 8 mpg. I have not come across these tyres either but srtongly suspect they are not LRR. Loss of 1 to 2 mpg over the life of the tyres will loose more than the cost of the tyres. Take a look at the fuel economy section for advice on tyres.

John (Britprius)

4. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone. I've done more googling and "primewells" are Chinese-made tires sold by Firestone. Apparently not great... Just OK. We'll see how they affect MPGs I guess!

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just check out Primwell TYres In the UK where Rolling resistance has to be published. They are very poor rating (F) on the scale A to G.

6. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. That is pretty bad. What tires come installed on the Prius? How do those rate?

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The tyres you are looking for should rate (B) in UK lists. Bridgestone Ecopia 422 or Michelin Energy Savers along with others. What size tyres are on your Prius as there are a few sizes dependent on model.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A lot of the Hankook tyres are LRR one of the best being:- Hankook Kinergy Eco

9. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help!!

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My pleasure and as I say take a look at the fuel economy section for more help, but do not put those tyres on your car you will not be pleased. One other small point, run your tyre pressures at a few pounds above those on the door sticker. The car will handle better, the tyres last longer and you will use less fuel. About 40 PSI front and 38 PSI rear.

11. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will do. Thx

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They are most certainly not LRR the highest ratting for any size I could find in the UK was (F) many sizes in (G) as low as the ratings go. Wet grip was not good either.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Hankook tires in the U.S. are not very fuel efficient either and/or have other tradeoffs.

Better to stick with known performers like Britprius stated earlier, Energy Saver A/S, Ecopia EP422, Goodyear Fuel Max, etc..

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stay away from the Primewell tires. Your mechanic is not a tire expert nor is he very familiar with the Prius it seems.

Michelin is currently offering their $70 rebate on the purchase of 4 tires. That puts them at a competetive price with other premium tires like Continental and Goodyear. Costco and Sears currently offer the rebate. Sam's Club probably does too.