1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prisu 2013 69k mile battery check hybrid system battery error P0A80 error

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Brad wije, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have noticed little bit lack of power in my accelerator when I first take off in the morning for few days then I suddenly got this error on the display for Hybrid system check.

My dealership error report is attached.
    I am the second owner.
    Notice that there was another error P0A08 prior to this and it seems like the previous owner has reset it and I ran for another two years before I get this error. Could the first error has caused this battery issue.

Looking at my report I don't see big voltage difference among the cells and should I be able to run few more months if I rest the code and replace a new battery?

Another question is while there is error on the system does it stop charging the system and only run from the engine? becasue I see lack of power driving a slightly steep road..
    Now I don't see the sign that says charging the battery anymore, If I reset the code will it start using the battery again ?

I badly need to buy some time until 3 months. I drive about 1000 miles a month. What are my options without causing more damage?

Attached Files:

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The first column shows block 7 is weak under load (shows 27 amp load). That is where the problem lies. A failing module in block 7 of the HV battery. A 27 amp load when driving isn't very much. Hard acceleration can show 150+

amos, qettyz, Brad wije and 1 other person like this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is your level of mechanical and electrical ability?

4. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Correction in this line -----------------------------

Looking at my report I don't see big voltage difference among the cells. Should I be able to run few more months if I rest the code until I replace a new battery?

5. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lets say pretty good.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you mean by replace a new battery? The 12 volt battery is not the issue. The big hybrid pack is the issue. Toyota is the only one that sells new packs. Some other companies repair old batteries with old parts and ty to pass them off as remanufactured, but they are just old batteries waiting to fail.

Block V07 is definitely low (12.32 volts). The next lowest is block V05 at 13.90 volts. If you are DIY and would rather repair, Hybrid Automotive sells used modules with a 1 year warranty. Their battery reconditioning system is highly recommended for balancing & reconditioning the battery pack. @jeff652 , the owners, is a trusted user here.

amos and jeff652 like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @TMR-JWAP is a good hobbyist who enjoys carefully testing & rebuilding battery packs.
    Companies selling the packs do not take the time & care needed to rebalance & test them so they tend to fail.

WilDavis likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I met a guy (Hi Pete!!) who was in a similar situation. He drove with a scanner attached to the car OBD port to enable him to reset the fault immediately. Not recommended for long term, but it could get you by for a bit, most likely. If you are DIY, brush up a bit by reviewing some videos and reading some of the postings here about module swaps. You can be successful in a DIY module swap and have it last years if you're a bit lucky.

Danny3xd likes this.
  9. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was thinking that these type of battery need reconditioning all the modules plugged into some charging system at once and applying voltage for long time applying charge-discharge cycling and measuring battery internal resistance together? Is that not right? Is module swap a safe bet? I am ready for any bet now given the cost of brand new battery. Can you point out how the new modules are safe from any disagreement to the rest of the pack please?

amos likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The battery reconditioning system I mentioned in post 6 consists of a grid charger & a discharger. The system charges the pack above the normal range & discharges below the normal range to help balance the modules and extend their life.Usually, once a module throws a code t needs to be replaced first anyway.

Some people take their chances , buy a used module from ebay and hope for the best. That is not recommended if you need a dependable car.

11. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Complete report attached here..........................

Attached Files:

12. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I know a local place that does this battery conditioning . it is a better option right?

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid Automotive has started selling professional systems to garages that recondition quicker.
    If the local place is using one of those systems, that may be a reasonable option. Hybrid Automotive should be able to tell you if that local place is one of their customers.

If they are not using that system it is probably a better option to do it yourself with the Prolong system.

Brad wije likes this.
  14. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy Brad. Bummer and sorry to hear. Been there, done that and didn't get the shirt. Not fun.

There is a really great vid some one posted and I'll find it and post.

Just remember, it is going to be OK. It really will.

I'll look for that vid first thing when I get home.

Really amazing and demystifies the big, bad battery .

Als the video offers other things/possibilities

Wish I had seen it be fore my batt. died on last Pri.

Brad wije likes this.
  15. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So what am I risking just replacing the module of the bad one I have first with a replacement module from someone trusted here in this forum ? Do I really need to do the reconditioning of the entire battery pack?

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe Hybrid Automotive charges $50 and has a 1 year warranty on their module. Without balancing & reconditioning the chance is greater for another code. That code is set when the voltage difference between modules is too great. I would guess a module in V05 might be next.
    I thought there was freeze frame codes that isolated which module in a block is bad though. A block is composed of 2 modules.

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #18 TMR-JWAP, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure you meant 18? That is when you grabbed a used module off the shelf.

20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    edited to 28

Prodigyplace likes this.