1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius 12 volt battery failure? dont buy nw! but replace/reuse your old one

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Flying White Dutchman, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my 12volt failed and what i did buy a new one..

but the org. is a sealed battery. so i drilled some holes in the housing where normally the filling caps would be

i put in some distillate water, filled them up and put a Qtek charger with disulfation mode on it for a while!

then did a normal charge

then put a cranks amps meter on it and what..... well it worked!

no need for a new battery.. thats the best environmental way:)

seal it back up with some tape and you ready to go.

be carefull with this about the battery acid!! do it at your own risk.

Attached Files:

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's nice
    Next time just peel up the(Mylar) tape, take off the caps and add(distilled) water
    You still have a small, weak, non-deep cell battery that can't run the radio for 1/2hour without going to ground, as in gomer.
    And you've got a bubbling lead acid battery in the drivers compartment, emitting "?" gas.(yes you hooked the small plastic evacuation tube back up)?
    Don't mean to be harsh but putting an Optima gel battery in is a healthy alternative and it won't be ded the first time the overhead light get left on,imho,ymmv

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Let it sit for a week and see if it holds a charge.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i will try again i a while
    but if this battery can not hold a charge wy can i still use a amps crank tool to see if the battery can still deliver the amps needed to start a ICE of a ordinary car
    the rated 300-400 amps where still o the display of the test tool for 10 sec
    and i did this several times to see if anything happens.

i have a new battery but ofcourse you need to plug in the little gas vent.

even funny thing this battery gor replaced by toyota dealer and 1 side was connected but the other side was open.. no plug no nothing so it simply vented into the car al that time

its not a real big problem because when it starts to vent you will smell it.

the black plastic cover is melted to the housing so you dont take that of you need to cut it of or like i did drill holes.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Minor nitpick, if you test a battery, it should maintain >9.6V at the end of the second 15s test. If you did several at 10s, then it's good. But check it again in a week just to be sure.

6. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dude your crazy! You have never seen a battery explode before have you?

Last thing you should do on this planet is drill holes in a car battery. Bad enough it can explode then it showers you with sulfuric acid.
    Be afraid.

Search You Tube for BATTERY EXPLOSION

8. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The Space Shuttle management decided that putting missing tiles back on the Space Shuttle after each trip was much easier than the hard expensive work of not making tiles come off in the first place.

Just because you can get charge back out of a battery does not mean you should do so and brag to the world. edthefox5 is pointing out something important. By the way, I have experience a battery explosion in my (previous) Camry. No way I'm dorking around with a problem battery.

9. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    do you have to drill so many holes??

how do you know how much distilled water to add? do you use some sort of a sizzle stick dip stick? are you adding water directly to acid?

what causes batteries to explode?

10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    battery was dead..
    of course with protecting my eyes etcetera

this is just like a normal flooded battery where you have those caps on parts of the cells. 6 x 2 volt = 12 volts

only with these the caps are gone to prevent you from filling and there for need a replacement faster. its just making money.

just fill like you would a normal flooded battery just above the plates

gas tube is connected so no venting in car but there where it needs to go.
    the manual of the charger states that during the battery recovery mode the battery will produce gas and you need to place it in a well ventilated place like outside.. ( like i did ).
    dont be afraid just be carefull.
    and i add some remark like do it at your own risk!

11. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hydrogen gas + spark or heat source. Scary stuff.

12. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    don't drive a prius
    200 volts dc deadly
    650 volt ac
    Emf radiation....
    scary stuff

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Flying White Dutchman is just trying to be helpful.

But in good conscious I would NEVER recommend in a public forum that anyone drill holes in a battery.

Too dangerous of an operation to forward as a DIY project.

Thrift aside, sometimes the risk doesn't equal the reward. IMO no, don't go drilling holes in your car battery. Just safely replace it, just properly dispose of the used one.

1 person likes this.
  14. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, yeah, it is if you are drilling into live 650 volt ac wires. Hydrogen gas is scary too, and that is the main cause for explosion as the previous poster asked. If you know what you are doing and take appropriate caution, then by all means proceed.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem with this statement? Is how many accidents happen because someone "thought" they knew what they were doing? How many accidents happen where people think they had taken proper safety measures?

When it comes to drilling into a dying or aging battery? I'm going to say 99% of your average owners and drivers are not qualified for such actions.

The problem with a thread like this? Is it's encouraging EVERYONE to do something I think most everyone really should avoid doing.

If you are a battery expert? If replacing and repairing batteries is a "thing" you do as a living? Well....maybe...but otherwise? For the average owner? My opinion has to be, simply go buy yourself a new battery.

The margin for error, and the potential outcome if something goes wrong, are just too narrow and too great respectively.

This is my personal opinion, even recognizing that there are a percentage of people probably qualified and equipped to attempt such an experiment in extending ones 12vlt battery life. IMO....for an item the cost of a 12vlt battery...simply not worth the risk.

16. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Everything you did sounds fine to me, I did wonder why you did not just remove the tape which hides the 6 cell caps. With drilling you had to get small pieces of plastic in the battery tho. As for venting and dangers of Hydrogen gas that is total BS. Also the HV fan also exits any 12V gas that could build up, (without a vent) and will continuously exit the car under the rear fenders. The rule is always pour H2So4 into water not visa-versa. ie: that is in sensible proportions. Most of the time this is not applicable to "Battery Maintenance". This subject has been covered before, in sickening detail and extended BS.:D

1 person likes this.
  17. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dang, tough thread! Give a simple answer in response to a question on what causes batteries to explode and I gotta bend over for it twice lol.

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get enough hydrogen you could make a cool flying balloon ;)

Mike

iPhone :)

19. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This should remind Top Gear fans of Jeremy Clarkson's favorite line, "How Hard Can It Be?"

Optima has a new battery dr46b24r that is a direct replacement for the Prius battery, unlike the d51 no extra kits or modifications are necessary.

I may use the drilling holes and topping off with distilled water method to be a temporary bandaid to be done when my 12V battery dies and I'm waiting for an optima to arrive. Unless I see hard evidence otherwise I wouldn't consider this a safe permanent solution. Luckily the Prius gives you some clues that the battery is dying so I hopefully I will have enough advance notice that the Optima will arrive before the battery dies completely.

20. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are you still using this battery now? I wonder how much % you recovered the original with such a simple procedure...