1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2 sway bar link replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sumi, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Sumi

Sumi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster, please take it easy on me:) Also sorry for my bad England:D

Okay, so the question is, that I had to replace my sway bar links, and I could only do it one wheel at a time (in the driveway). This meant that the swaybar was under stress, so I had to jack up each knuckle (while car was jacked up / on axle stand at the corresponding front side jacking point) to compress the spring, so I could pull the old link and install the new one. I've used a floor jack for this with a rubber block on it, but it was placed right behind the brake dust-shield, so right under the lower ball joint (basicly carrying the little extension that holds the lower ball joint was carrying the weight), perhaps also a bit under the bolts/nuts that are securing this part. I don't know how much force it took (didn't lift the car off the axle stand), but it took some good amount of force compressing the spring (from underneath the lower ball joint that is) to get the ends of the links aligned / go through the hole.

Anyway, the question is.. Is this okay, or did I do any sort of damage? I've looked at it, and all looks well, but I have a weird feeling that this wasn't the proper way of doing it.

It's hard to take a picture now that the wheels are back on the car, but this is about where I've jacked/compressed it:

upload_2021-6-12_15-26-5.png

upload_2021-6-12_15-26-45.png

Other side:
    upload_2021-6-12_15-27-17.png

upload_2021-6-12_15-32-2.png

Any input is much appreciated!

Cheers

2. broski

broski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Sumi -- no issue at all doing it the way you did, just a bit more of a pain vs jacking the whole front up. No worries.

ydoc5212 likes this.