1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2001 Water leak in trunk

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by osiris12, Jun 6, 2012.

1. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For a while now I have been getting water in the trunk of my old 2001 Prius. Its dripping from the left side (driver's side) cutout in the upper part of the trunk.

I tried resealing the rear window and I am confident there is no openings there. The only thing I can determine is that I need to replace the trunk gasket.

Having a hard time finding a replacement seal for that model. Does anyone know of a parts company where I can purchase a new trunk seal gasket for a 2001 Prius?

Thanks.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the Gen 1 forum.

3. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is it from the trunk seal, or is it the air intake/exhaust for HV battery fan? Have you dug around back behind the battery and see if the water is coming in from there? Have you removed the cowel and looked at the fan?

4. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for replying back joedirte.

I know where the leak terminates, from a cutout on the rear left side of the trunk.

There is no water in the battery areas (both the ICE and the battery bank).

I will check the HV exhaust area but I have confirmed there is no extra openings around that area. Perhapse there may be an extra opening or crack inside the exhast opening.