1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2002 - Check Engine Sign, Warning Sign, Break Sign - Is Hybrid battery Problem

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Suman Upadhyay, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Suman Upadhyay

Suman Upadhyay New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello,
    II am having Prius 2002 driving from Sept'2010, Odometer - 219K. Recently I went to India for a vacation to India, after coming back I got check engine and Warning Sign thought may be related to oil change.
    but that signs kept alive plus break light come suddenly and that time getting noice and needs to restart the ar, went to local mechanics, he found , spark plug issue and miss fire he cleared and told that may be hybrid battery issue, just after driving 1 mile all sign back. break light is coming back very frequently , but after restarting the car it's going away but not certain when it will comes back. I called mechanic , he told visit dealer, which is definitely a good suggestion.

here I am trying to understand

is it common issue for Prius 2002?

what will be the cost of repairing? Approx?
    spending that money to 14 years old car really worthy? as my tenure to US maximum next 3-4 months?
    will I get resale value after changing?

Prius experts : please advice.

thnx & Rgds,

Suman

2. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did you get an error code report from the mechanic? A similar period of non-use led our 2001 to the brink of traction (hybrid) battery failure, and beyond. Code 3006 was what we got.

We took the plunge and bought a new Hybrid battery. From the dealer, installed it was about $2800. That seemed a lot for a car with a book value of $200, but on the way home we were back at 52mpg on the highway. No other $2800 car will do that!

We picked up a 2016 on clearance while we were there, rounding out our fleet of 5 Prius.

Good luck!

Mark

3. Alisabeta

Alisabeta New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2004 prius engine n break light keeps appearing

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat.

Get a diagnostic run (by dealer or AutoZone type outfit that can read all Prius codes) and report the DTCs that have been set. Then we can give you more detailed advice on what to do next.

At the moment, all anyone can tell you is your car has a problem and it appears that it might be in the brake system.

You also might try posting that in a new thread in the Gen II area "Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting" as this is the Gen I forum.