1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2002 Errors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dgoldst, Oct 7, 2008.

1. dgoldst

dgoldst New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I got the dreaded red light of death yesterday and got the codes from the not so secret panel display. Does anyone have a clue as what these are?
    The Toyota dealers in town are crap but no one else does diagnostics here.
    The car has 105k on it with no previous problems. I don't have a scanner but probably should buy one.

D5-340-72-F
    D8-1D8-AF-1
    DA-340-DB-5
    DC-1C6-B0-4
    DC-B0-F
    DC-1D8-D1-7
    DC-190-B0-2
    DC-340-DB-F
    DE-1C6-35-1
    DE-340-DB-3

thanks in advance as always.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The MFD codes have absolutely nothing to do with any powertrain problems, so you can safely ignore those codes. What warning lights are on, besides the red triangle master warning light?

The best scanner for you as a Classic owner would be the Ecrostech miniscanner that is no longer in production. If you can't find a used one to buy (say on eBay) then you can try buying a generic OBD-II scanner to see if it will work on your car.

Good luck.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if you have the red flag of death, and the check engine light, the codes in the mfd display are useless to you. these codes all pertain to errors in the mfd, cd player, cd changer, satellite radio, bluetooth, etc etc etc

for people with 2004- 2009, if you ever see 01-21-110 or 01-22-110, thats the mfd code of death, if you ever see that, it means
    your mfd is toast

4. dgoldst

dgoldst New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thanks for info. I found someone in town that can read the errors. He is very good, all he does mostly is electrical, I forgot about him until my wife reminded me.. I will get a obdII scanner at some point, I have too many cars that use it. The mini scanner is completely unavailable. I haven't found any.

Just for my info what do the screen errors mean? I tried to find them in the manual but wasn't able to.

I also got the battery light and one other that I can't remember.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If by "battery light" you mean the traction battery icon appeared on the MFD, this is very bad. This means that the traction battery probably has failed.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the MFD is the device that displays the codes, how would it display the code of death for itself? :p

7. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    01-21-110 is mfd rom failed
    01-22-110 is mfd ram failure

8. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    there seems to be a lack of posts on here about what these codes mean
    and a lot of posts asking what they are
    i am in the process of typing up one and will post it later to the knowledge base
    maybe i can get john 1701a to put it on his site.

CODE 57-47
    Replace MFD
    Bluetooth Death Code

9. dgoldst

dgoldst New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I borrowed a actron odbII scanner today from a friend and got the ever popular P3191 and almost as popular P0300 codes. It was about 35 degrees and almost 100% humidity this morning, weird for NM I know. I think it's probably the sticky throttle problem that seems to be endemic to this car. I'll clean it this weekend and see if that helps. Thanks for the replies so far and the info on the mfd errors. My mfd works fine. The clock is mostly dead and the cd player or whatever that is is also all the way dead. At least it's probably a minor sort of thing and not the HV battery or something major and expensive.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you consider replacing the iridium spark plugs also, as well as cleaning the throttle body, since you have engine misfire codes. Regarding P0300, does any one cylinder produce a code (i.e., cyl 1 is P0301) or do you just have the general P0300 misfire code?

The lack of a traction battery DTC per the Actron scanner, does not necessarily mean that none exists. The P3191 and P030x codes are produced by the engine ECU. Any traction battery DTC would be produced by the hybrid vehicle ECU or traction battery ECU. The Actron scanner may not be capable of retrieving those codes.

11. dgoldst

dgoldst New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I replaced the spark plugs already. I also cleaned the throttle plate. It was pretty gunky (if thats a word). I just got the 300 code in general no specific codes. I also put a bottle of Chevron gas cleaner in the car and since the cleanings it's been fine. The car runs runs pretty good although all gas in Albuquerque has alcohol in it so my mileage has dropped since then.