1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2002 P3009 C1521

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ilovemylife2, Sep 28, 2015.

1. ilovemylife2

ilovemylife2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P3009 (corrosion internal to the battery most likely) and C1521 but no lights on dashboard.

My question is:

1. I have a 40 miles/gallon performance.
    2 . How long can a 2002 run with a P3009.
    3. I am also getting a C1521 as well.
    4. Toyota Service center recommend me to change the battery and its cost is $3150 plus other charges amounting to $4600.

What are my choices?

Thanks,
    Love your life.

#1 ilovemylife2, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! or just unlucky? anyway, how many miles on her?

3. ilovemylife2

ilovemylife2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    112000 miles.

4. ilovemylife2

ilovemylife2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replace left front inner boot joint (Found CV joint boot torn/leaking) : $428. This was another surprise found.
    Perform Fuel System Service (Found dirty airfilter) : $204 This was another surprise found.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really sorry for you.
    I can commiserate.
    I made several "bad" used car purchases when I was young. It was a learning curve.

Unfortunately, some people selling a used vehicle.....lie or misrepresent.
    If you've got nothing in writing, there's no way to prove it. The seller could always claim the battery WAS in great shape when he sold it to you, and they had no idea that it was going to fail.

Your choices eventually come down to repair or cut losses. Both expensive and unsatisfying options.

I don't know your financial situation.

I think if it was me, I don't know if I'd want to continue to invest into a vehicle as old as that Prius, to the level of investment it would probably take to get it running code free. But the evil Catch-22 is that with those codes and what is probably a failing Hybrid Battery....at least...

Then the vehicle has little value.

You're closer to your own financial situation as well as being closer to the actual vehicle itself. So it's really up to you.

My fear would be the old cliche....of throwing good money after bad.

Anything and everything is fixable however, and if you have the resources, and are so inclined, enough investment SHOULD return you with a working Prius. But even then, there is no getting around the fact that it's 13 nearly 14 model years old.

The other option that I'm sure by now others have mentioned is investigating rebuilt/refurbished batteries. There is risk in this as well, but less cost.

Sorry, wish I had a more positive answer to offer.

6. lifehouse

lifehouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That sounds incredible amount to spend already with those new findings. Think of what above poster said, there are probably more prius choices around.