1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2003, Model NHW20, fuel consumption 6-13km per liter, HELP....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Morris_Mongolia, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Morris_Mongolia

Morris_Mongolia New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have PRIUS NHW200 with following details

Year: 2003
    Yield: 101000km

So now is a winter time in Mongolia. In the day is about -15C to 20C something and in the night is about -20C to 30 something. So I don't have any warm garage. Just stay my car in parking space outside of my Apartment.

And I have auto power system in my car. That means if my engine temperature below -5C engine will be start automatically and idle about 5minutes.

So my main problem is:

In the winter fuel economy IDEL: 6-7km per LITER
    In the winter fuel economy when drive below 60km per hour: 8-13km per LITER
    Summer: If drive between 60km per hour to 100 something: not more than 17km per liter.

SO HOW CAN I REDUCE MY FUEL ECONOMY

My battery is okay the voltage is normal

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you mean how can you reduce your fuel consumption OR how can you increase your fuel economy.

Those are truly horrific fuel consumption figures, yikes!

If I understand your auto power system correctly, your engine is going to be idling quite a lot with temperatures getting to -15C, and probably the most probable cause for those consumption figures.

Do you have a flat motorway of at least 16 km? If you do, you could try a baseline type of test by resetting your consumption screen then do a run at a constant speed (on cruise control, if you can) for 16 km, then turn around and come back the 16 km to your start point. Record the resultant average consumption shown on your consumption screen and report it back here.

After that, we'll see what we can do from there.

Hope that helps.

#2 dolj, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If night average temperature is -25c and your engine does reach 80c when idling for 5min then it takes about 2.5 hours to cool back to -5c. If it uses (bit less than) 1l/hour then in 5min it uses 0.08l of fuel. And in 10 hour night it uses 0.32l. If day temperature is -17.5c (and it probably reaches bit higher temperature) it probably takes 3hour to cool back to -5c. Then in 14 hour day it uses 0.36l.

So if calculated like this every day “auto power system” is using 0.68 liters if car sits all day. Or 0.52 liters if you take two trips a day. Or 0.44 liters if you drive all day. If you subtract this from fuel used then what kind of consumption figures do you get for tank?