1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2004 230k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rosnaldo Venega, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Rosnaldo Venega

Rosnaldo Venega New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use my Prius for deliveries, I drive about 6 hours and 90 miles a day.

When I start in the morning, it is working perfectly and continues like this until I complete two and a half hours of work, it has been like this for two weeks.

When I complete about two hours of work, the red triangle and the exclamation point appear on the dashboard, but the car continues to drive normally.

After about four and a half hours, the combustion engine does not turn off when the car is stopped and the car starts to lose power when it comes to moving. Fuel consumption, which was high, starts to drop below 30mpg and the car seems to be making more effort to drive.

The next day in the morning, I reset the error and the car runs normally, until all this happens again.

I replaced the inverter pump and control valve, I also replaced the electric battery fan.

There is no check engine, there is no code just the red triangle and the exclamation point.

Fuel consumption is very good, 45-50 mpg but after four hours the hybrid won't run anymore.

The problem is the hybrid battery? because it works normal for both of them until the problem occurs after hours of operation.

2. Rosnaldo Venega

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use my Prius for deliveries, I drive about 6 hours and 90 miles a day.

When I start in the morning, it is working perfectly and continues like this until I complete two and a half hours of work, it has been like this for two weeks.

When I complete about two hours of work, the red triangle and the exclamation point appear on the dashboard, but the car continues to drive normally.

After about four and a half hours, the combustion engine does not turn off when the car is stopped and the car starts to lose power when it comes to moving. Fuel consumption, which was high, starts to drop below 30mpg and the car seems to be making more effort to drive.

The next day in the morning, I reset the error and the car runs normally, until all this happens again.

I replaced the inverter pump and control valve, I also replaced the electric battery fan.

There is no check engine, there is no code just the red triangle and the exclamation point.

Fuel consumption is very good, 45-50 mpg but after four hours the hybrid won't run anymore.

The problem is the hybrid battery? because it works normal for both of them until the problem occurs after hours of operation.

bisco likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should read the codes, not just reset it. It'll usually point you to the direction of the problem. If you were to guess, maybe it's heat related and you need to check all your fluid levels

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, it’s the hybrid battery. If you have the triangle and no code, you have the wrong reader.
    Get tech stream or similar and you will get codes and sub codes.
    You’ll have to open the battery and look for corrosion and clogging anyway

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would expect there to be something wrong with the hybrid drive system, the symptoms point to a weak battery.

You need a more capable scantool to check all the systems on your car for codes.
    You can read this thread that reviews several scantool apps and devices.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *Threads merged*

7. Rosnaldo Venega

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    found out the problem, there is a blue rele near the fan and it was damaged, after changing it, everything went back to normal.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! those rele's are fragile