1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2005 Gen2 + HDTV + WDTV Media Player Project

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by martyoh, Sep 21, 2011.

1. martyoh

martyoh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Prius 2005 Gen2 + 13.3" Media Player with HDTV and NetFlix with WDTV

Disclaimer: Will void warranty on your products. Not responsible for damage or personal injury. The purpose of this thread is to informational only. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OUTCOME.

Requirements:
    1. Low cost: Gather what you have at home and not buy new items
    2. DIY to max (mounting, fabrication, design, modified cellphone 12V plug directly to Curtis TV and WDTV AC power cable since they are both 12Volts.)
    3. Multi-purpose (HDTV, Video, Photo, Music, Internet Application/Starbuck or McDonald when possible)
    4. High Def (720p)
    5. Stable under car running or parked for power and mounting.
    6. Able to still access all controls like Radio, MDF, Compartment, Gear Selector, etc.
    7. Not designed for full time use such as watching TV or Video while driving, but more of part time use like when parked at camping or unexpected wait in the car.

Thoughts:
    1. TV is great for the price. High def and clear. Bit too much reflection. Wish TV was 11".
    2. WDTV does everything and more.
    3. I may add RearView Camera as next project and way to mount DIY HD antenna.

Below is what I used, but you can substitute for any components.

WDTV Live Hub $200 2Amp 12Volt 24Watts
    HDMI, plays all kinds for Video, photo, and music formats, network ready, hard drive built in.
    Sorry I can't post URL since I am a newbie.
    Google WDTV Live Hub

Alternative WDTV WD TV Live Plus $86 (no Hard Drive)
    Google WDTV Live Plus

Curtice LED1337A $109 1.5Amp 12 Volt 20Watts (no longer available)
    ATSC Tuner, LED, 13.3" 1366 x 768, 720p, HDMI, built in speakers
    Google Curtis LED 1337A
    I think similar spec with 10" would be perfect, but couldn't find it. Let me know if anyone finds one with 720p, HDMI, and ATSC built in.

DIY HDTV Binder Clip Antenna $2
    Google Youtube Binder Clip

Cisco WiFi Dongle: $20
    Go to WD Support Site and type WDTV Wifi

Power Connection: Free
    Used left over 12Volt Cell phone Connectors and connected AC power cable directly since both WDTV and Curtis TV inputs are 12Volts.
    WDTV 12V connected to Front 12Volt outlet under dash
    Curtis TV 12V connected to center console 12V outlet

Enjoy

Attached Files: