1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2005 main battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hansie, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Hansie

Hansie New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought a new Prius in 2005. In April 2010 (157,000km / 98000m) the triangle and engine icons warning lights came on. After about two weeks in the workshop, I was informed that the main battery went. Cost me R21,500 (about $2,800) to replace. Two months later (161,000km) the same warning lights came on again. Toyota agents informed me that now it is the water pump not circulating water through the engine. Another R2434 (about $320) down the drain. Toyota on its website states that the batteries should last the entire life of the vehicle. Is it possible that battery problem was wrongly diagnosed, and, that in fact, it was the water pump giving the problem in the first place? Do I have grounds to attempt to recover the price of the battery from Toyota South Africa? (They said battery only warranted for 3 years/100,000km). Tx, Hans

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Hans,

Does the repair invoice for the main battery replacement show what DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) had been logged by the car? If so please provide. Usually I would expect either the hybrid vehicle warning icon or the main battery warning icon to appear in the MFD, if the main battery is the problem.

How many miles did you drive during the two months between the two repairs? If you drove a reasonable amount in that interval, then it's unclear that the engine water pump was responsible for the first problem.

Regarding Toyota's assertion that the main battery should last for the "vehicle life", remember that this is a marketing assertion, not a guarantee. Also, vehicle life is a nebulous concept and your idea of vehicle life might be longer than Toyota's. Finally, component failures will be distributed along some curve (i.e., some batteries will last longer than others), and your car's battery may have just been on the short end of that curve.

3. Hansie

Hansie New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick! The car icon (with and exlamation mark, I think) also appeared on the big display (in both instances). Unfortunately they did not supply the DTC on the invoice. Tx for your reply!