1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2005 making high pitch noise but when the headlights are turned off, the noise stops

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ClaireSteve, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ClaireSteve

ClaireSteve New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi guys! I have prius 2005 that makes weird high pitch noise that I’ve never heard of. The noise went off when I turned the headlights off..Has anybody had the same experience?

I have all the lights on the dashboard and I took my car to two different shops to get the lights off but was told there’s nothing wrong with the car, the lights are on due to computer error.

I’ve read lots of threads regarding high pitch noise and a lot of people said it has something to do with brake pressure... should I take my car to the shop and have the people check out if there’s anything wrong? Or would this be another computer error? I’ve already spend hundreds of dollars for nothing but that high pitch noise concerns me :(

Any suggestions?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow those are some idiots. You are seeing lots of important DTC's (Diagnostic test codes) on the dash. Do you see a red triangle on the dash? Thats the triangle of death and means something really important is bad. Do you see a little car icon in the upper left corner of the MFD? Thats the hybrid battery the big battery in the trunk not the 12 volt battery the $3000 battery is complaining about something.

Stop driving the car till you figure out what which codes they are as they will soon strand you. You can take it to the dealer and they can harvest the codes for $140 diagnostic fee, if you do that get every code in writing and post back here before you spend any more money there. There are many alternative code readers you can buy yourself including an android app must buy bluetooth dongle and a few inexpensive ones that require a beater laptop.

You have a old car whats the mileage? If its approaching 200000 miles i can almost guarantee you the hybrid battery is failing.

use the search forum button up top and then search

hybrid battery

There's alot of info in those posts about an OBD code reader you will need. Alternatives to new battery, repairs of the battery, etc. Lots of horror story's. You have reading to do.

#2 edthefox5, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    ITBland likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take the car to Avi at hybridfix.com. He's next to USC

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.