1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2005, Noise when taking foot OFF the brake.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hcb, Oct 26, 2010.

1. hcb

hcb New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

I have 2005 Prius, 53K miles on it. Bought it as used car few months ago. It has been running great since then.

Since last few weeks I have been hearing a soft beep every time I take foot off the brake. Today I had my windows down while driving and I realized that the soft beep is actually a loud noise like squeak or beep. I can hear a noise every time I take foot off the brake (NOT when putting foot on the brake). Anyone can standing near the car or other car drivers at red-light can hear the sound too.. This happens when- the Car is in D, I take foot off the accelerator and press the brake (to slow down or complete stop) then take foot off the brake.

Anyone had any such issue? Any suggestions on what needs to be done/checked?

I will bne taking car to mechanic sometime during this weekend, hopefully I do not get into any trouble till then.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There was a tech note on this issue. The solution was to replace the master cylinder.

Tom

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-.../29211-tsb-br001-07-brake-actuator-noise.html

Note that brake system performance is not impaired by this noise, so if your car is out of warranty then don't worry. It probably isn't worth paying a four-digit repair bill to get rid of the noise.

If your mechanic is not Toyota hybrid-trained, I would recommend you go elsewhere regarding this or any other issue that relates to the hybrid system.