1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2006 dead after catalic converter replacement - the red triangle on, breaks light on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nikol, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Nikol

Nikol New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My cat converter was stolen two weeks ago. I found a muffler shop that works with converters. I also needed to instal the oxygen sensor.

Unfortunately, after I came to the shop to pick it up and turned on the car, there was just the loud beep, the red triangle of death and the break light on which is something what also happened after a basic oil change before. The battery was also drained but it worked great before I left it at the muffler shop. Also, the fuel indicator was flashing on and off but there was gas in the car when I drove it there.

I keep hearing "it's the battery" and "the battery is dead" but that's not the case because the battery was just fine before their service, and that is also what I heard after any oil change when the car completely shut off after three minutes of driving. I remember a guy who somehow knew how to reset the back battery and then my Prius worked great. But not this time ..

What could be possibly wrong? I just paid for the cat/oxygen sensor replacement and installation and now I am stuck with a broken down car...

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many days/weeks did the vehicle sit unused?

Were you able to drive the vehicle into the repair facility?

How many miles on the vehicle and is the HV battery still the original?

FYI : you're posts are moderated until you've posted five times.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the triangle and other warning lights are on, the car has trouble codes to be read.

There's nothing wrong with asking us what might be wrong, but asking the car might reveal information it has that we don't.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Charge the 12volt overnight, then force charge the hybrid battery after engine starts by putting car in drive and putting left foot hard on the brake and right foot floors the gas pedal. This will solve any issues with the batteries having a low charge.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, the fuel indicator was flashing on and off but there was gas in the car when I drove it there.

When you know for fact there is plenty of fuel in the car, a flashing 'one dot' on the fuel gauge is a very reliable indicator of having lost 12v power. Typically, you'll also lose radio presets and the driver window "auto" up and down will no longer function.

I keep hearing "it's the battery" and "the battery is dead" but that's not the case because the battery was just fine before their service,

The Gen 2 Prius has a very small 12v battery compared to most cars. If you have a flashlight with brand new batteries in it, and then lend it to a friend who accidently leaves it turned on all night, guess what? It worked just fine before you gave it to them, but it doesn't do squat now, right? What might happen if the shop left the car door open or the interior lights on, or the radio playing while they worked on it? What if they disconnected the 12v battery while working on the car, but didn't fully tighten a connection when hooking it back up?

Do not rule out a simple answer just because the battery was just fine before their service,

6. Stefenn Fiscus

Stefenn Fiscus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey Prius Camper. Very random note, but I joined Prius Chat just to ask you a question about a thread where you installed a oem hybrid battery and switched out the old ECU, etc into the new OEM pack. I'm looking to do the same thing and for the life of me couldn't figure out how the hell to DM on here lol. Hoping you can drop me a message to discuss.

Contrary to my inability to message on here I am fairly confident I can get the swap done but want to be sure there aren't additional parts o need to buy, soldering that needs done or something else that isn't generally plug and play/removing bolts. Hope to her from ya and thanks in advance!

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty easy. Remove safety plug on both packs. Unplug the 3 plugs on the old ecu. Unscrew the screws holding it too the chassis.

Then inspect that old ecu for corrosion. Look carefully in the sockets for any corrosion. then take its pcb out of the metal case and check it carefully at the backside of the connectors for corrosion. Corrosion on that board is very common. Look at the entire board very closely.
    See pictures should look very clean.

If its good put the pcb back in the metal case and install it in the new pack. Plug its 3 plugs back in. There all different size cant mess that up.

After its all tight and ready to go before you attach the car side leads I put the safety plug back in and checked the total B+ at the battery side of the relay. Check it for correct polarity and total pack voltage. Easy and quick. Just to confirm I have at least 215 volts to start the car. So you know the pack is correct and ready for install.

Then REMOVE the safety plug again!

Throw the pack in reattach the power leads in correct polarity and attach the tin grounding plate strap across the grounding edge of the cables.
    Bolt that back in. Plug in the safety switch push it in and as you push it in the lever will swing up. When plug is seated slide that lever straight down till it clicks.

Also a good idea before starting the car to check the 12 volts at the front jump point. many times people will leave the doors open for hours when working on the car go to start it and the battery is dead then they think the hybrid battery has failed.

Should be at least 12.4 volts at the front jump point.

Attached Files:

#7 edthefox5, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also you don't need to floor the gas pedal to force charge it. In D while power braking just gently push the gas pedal down till you see charging current arrows begin flowing from the engine to the battery on the energy monitor.

The second you see charging arrows flowing stop pushing the gas pedal just hold it there at that level. Its not much higher than idle. Just hold it there till you see the battery accumulate some blue bars. Older the battery is the longer that takes.

Been doing that for years till I put a new NPB battery in last year.

#8 edthefox5, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just messaged you...

10. Nikol

Nikol New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for all the answers. Just to keep you updated - the car is stuck at the muffler shop. I was told by the mechanics that "whatever we do, the car dies and stops working." The day I went to the service, which was two days ago, to pay and pick it up (and found out the car is not working) they told me they actually don't work with Prius cars that much, so they don't know what can be wrong. Something what you definitely don't want to hear after you pay. They also ran some coding but it did not tell them anything.

Today, I was told it showed them some new codes that I have to bring to the Toyota Dealership.

I also have to have it towed from the property to the dealership. Now, how come I was able to drive the car to the muffler garage with two pieces missing (cat converter cut off and oxygen sensor stolen/disconnected), but after their service I end up with a broken down car that worked great before.

I can't afford to pay for another service in dealership on top of their service, if that makes sense. They are trying to say they are not responsible for the car being currently undrivable, but it is my responsibility to have the car towed away and pay for what the muffler shop has done wrong. It's just not right.

11. Nikol

Nikol New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best if you can write down the old coding, and these new codes, and post them in this thread for additional guidance.

Don't try starting the engine again until you know what the problem is, you could deplete the HV battery charge by doing so.

How old is the 12v battery, or do you know when it was changed last?

Texas is a fairly large state, which part are you near?

13. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have seen this before. It's not common but a stolen Cat can brick a Prius. And they can work for a bit without the Cat and O2 sensor and then die. The hybrid battery also gets run down in the process and gets called the villain when it is actually the victim.

Sometimes the cut and mangled O2 sensor wires can short out. This can happen after the car has been driven a bit. The shorted wires will blow the 15 amp EFI fuse. That fuse is next to the AM2 fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. The blown EFI fuse disables the gas engine but the car can still move on battery alone. Thus the battery gets run down.

Replace the EFI fuse (there is a spare fuse stored in the fuse box) and your Prius will come back to life.

SFO likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Assuming, as I hope, the cut/mangled sensor wires that blew it have been repaired.

15. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From the OP first post.
    The O2 sensor comes with a new pigtail wire so the short has been repaired.

16. Nikol

Nikol New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you. I asked about the coding but the muffler garage never sent it to me, which makes me think that they just made something up. Toyota Dealership said there must be a new computer installed in Prius, and without it the car won't run. The thing is - the Toyota mechanics are unable to find any of these computers as it seems like it is hard to buy these days. I just don't understand why the car ran perfectly and after the cat noverter replacement at a muffler shop, the car was completely dead with a damaged computer/or is it possible it was somehow stolen too?

17. Nikol

Nikol New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you so much for the reply. I just heard from a Toyota mechanic about a "computer for Prius" that needs to be ordered. Without it the car won't run. I am not exactly sure what computer he talks about, but I am going to go there right after work and ask about more details. The thing is - the computer is really hard to find and buy for the mechanic.

18. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have seen the blown EFI fuse on three Prius with stolen Cats. The first one did take a bit to figure out. I can understand why the small shop gave up and why the dealer is on a snipe hunt for a computer.

Do not let the dealer waste your money on computer without trying the fuse first.

Here is a picture showing the location of the EFI fuse. That's the drivers side headlight in the bottom of the picture. The EFI fuse is in the top right side of the fuse box.
    PXL_20210317_235306300.jpg PXL_20210317_235356312.PORTRAIT.jpg

Skibob and SFO like this.
  19. Smitty22

Smitty22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just had the same thing happen to me. Found the EFI fuse in the muffler shop parking lot and everything is good, except the red triangle is still on. When does that go out?

strawbrad likes this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Red triangle of death is a major fatal fault in the car. Usually because either the inverter coolant pump has failed or the hybrid battery has failed.

Do you have the original hybrid battery in the car?

Do you see a red car icon in the top left corner of the mfd screen the screen above the radio?

if the answer is yes to both these questions pretty sure you need a new battery as its the #1 failure in G2 Prius just because of there age.
    Hundreds of posts about it on this site.Including myself.

You must get a Prius capable OBD code reader to harvest these codes that will tell you exactly what the car is unhappy about anything less is a waste of time imho.

Dr Prius works good its a phone app and you need to buy the bluetooth obd cable to hook it to the car its called a Clarista on amazon.com.