1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2007 Cel and codes Help !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sbdmom, Dec 30, 2017.

1. sbdmom

sbdmom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HI
    I bought a 2007 prius from a dealer 2 mos ago (under 100k, one owner, well maintained)
    A few weeks ago I got a check engine light (no maintainance required light, or triangle of death, just the one that looks like an engine) ..read on the forums here its sometimes related to low fuel or gas cap. Once I fueled up it went away immediately . It came on again suddenly, then after a few starts it stopped again and went off. Did it again when I was on 2 bars low on gas....same thing happened.
    A few days later with a full tank it again went on..then off . Now that its on again I finally took it to O reilly

These are the codes
    P1121 (coolant flow control valve)
    C1241 (low battery positive or abnormal positive high battery voltage
    C1242 open circut in IG2 circut
    C1249 open circut in stop light switch circut
    C1300 malfunction in engine control unit

So I am bummed and hoping these are not as scary as they sound..lol.. My second car payment is due mid month...Im not happy

So..any advice...in general or any advice when it goes to the mechanic . Questions I should ask or things to be wary of ??
    This is my first hybrid and newest car I've owned..lol

TIA
    Jamie

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a bad 3 way coolant valve. A dealer would charge about $500 to replace it. The part costs $77 on Amazon. This is the cause of the check engine light

There may be another issue with your stop lamp switch.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the 12 volt battery a lot of those codes log if the 12 volt battery dips really low.
    I notice a lot of just bought Prius have battery issues because I surmise they sit on the lot for quite a while and the 12 volt battery goes dead. Then it’s jump started which is really bad. You let an old AGM go stone dead a few times and it’s done.

Answer this. When you approached the dealer and said you were interested in the car did they grab
    the keys and run right out for a test drive or did it take quite a while for them to get back to you and present the car for a test drive? I’m guessing it took quite a while. That was some guy jump starting the car.

The 12 volt battery is a Prius Achilles heel. It must be in good shape.
    Don’t know if it’s a CPO car or not but take it back to the dealer and demand a new 12 volt battery.
    Tell them you have to jumpstart it every day, You have 3 kids. Wa wa, Throw a hissy, get a new battery and keep the motor oil at the full line and that’s about 95% of the issues this car will have taken care of.

Good luck,