1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2007 (gen 2) A/C noise issue, inside cabin and passenger side of engine bay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Y90itf, Jun 1, 2024.

1. Y90itf

Y90itf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi all,

the A/C is blowing cool/cold air, but I'd rather do some preventative maintenance than a costly repair down the line.

I only bought this car a few months ago.

It sounds exactly like the brake pump actuator failing noise except that it is on the opposite side of the engine bay, and only made when A/C is on. The charge-up/motor whirring and click-like release noise happens once every 20-30 seconds when the A/C is on. Is this normal?

I also have like a low level static-y noise coming from AC vents and the air always comes out from the dash vents even if I only want it to come out from the foot facing vents on climate control settings.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    electric ac compressor is pretty noisy, but usually not too bad inside the cabin with the windows closed.
    vent damper motor might need replacing, or could just be stuck damper.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The motor that puts the air out of the different vents is probably acting up it usually makes a clicking or hunting noise like if you move it from the face vents to the floor you may hear this click click click click click noise and the air doesn't move and then it'll do the same noise again and the air doesn't move or it might start to move down to the floor The thing is hunting trying to figure out what position you're actually selecting because whatever is going on inside of it apparently if you look down on the floor on the driver side of the car but look towards the passenger side in the center of the car you see the white box which is your air conditioning heater core casement assembly and on the side of that is this black square-ish looking device I believe that is the device that selects where the air is going to be directed to which events and if you put your hand on that while somebody's making changes to where they want the air to come out I think you'll hear that or feel that box clicking and get that mess off and look inside of it and see what you can see or just replace it I can't imagine what a new one would cost some people have suggested maybe pieces of 10 or whatever from the mechanism maybe laying in there and just need to be cleaned out I've never looked I can make mine work enough to wear I haven't bothered ripping it out I have a parts car I'm fixing to tear this part out of just to have a look at it.